After Bassbuzz

@EddieJones glad to hear your happy with with it.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Good ad.

3 Likes

Volkswagen always had the most clever print ads when I was growing up

3 Likes

So true.

2 Likes

Mark Smith just released his new Groove Trainer course this weekend (I’ve just started my way through it) and it’s 25% off for the next few weeks. This might work for you @BigBottom ? It’s meant as a progression from the beginner course.

It’s the usual 31 days risk free trial. So buy it and if you hate it. Get your money back.

6 Likes

It’s very cool. I was waiting for this course since he announced it as the winner of his which-course-next poll weeks ago.

I bought it as soon as he released it yesterday.

It’s Volume 1 in a series that will follow. And it works for players of any level who want to learn/practice/improve their groove game.

3 Likes

Thanks @Barney and @MikeC I’ve been reluctant to check out other bass instruction sites even though I need something post-B2B. Josh has such a great teaching style that I find I am quickly forming an opinion of other teachers I see on YouTube which might not be fair. For example I signed up to Drumeo for a free trial but there’s one teacher on the YouTube videos who already annoys me so much so I’m hoping they don’t pop up in my lessons.

4 Likes

@StartedAt48 I think @MikeC makes a good point in that it’s about who you connect with in terms of teaching style. I like Ian Allison from SBL but Scott rubs me the wrong way. So no SBL for me.

Mark Smith of Talking Bass is very business like and I enjoy his teaching. I’m doing a few of his courses.

You also might like to check out Dan Hawkins. He’s a session musician, professional bassist. He has a very measured, relaxed style. I’m doing a couple of his courses as well. He has a lot of free content but I like the structure of a course otherwise you end up down too many rabbit holes.

Both he and Mark at Talking Bass offer money back guarantees, so if the thing isn’t your cup of tea; no problem.

5 Likes

Agreed. Dan is a good teacher. I enjoy his style.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Mark here from Talkingbass (pardon the cheesy intro). Josh and I are online buddies and I’ve been good friends with Scott since college back in the mid 90s so I’m pretty unbiased even if it might seem like we’re all competitors.
If you’ve got any questions about content of Talkingbass or SBL just ask away (I used to write all the SBL lesson material and still hang out there) and if you want to know about any other options for bass study I’ll happily help out. Love BassBuzz and Josh is a fantastic teacher/player/dude.

24 Likes

It’s you…(said in my screeching teenage high school girl voice) Just kidding but I am a fan. I think it is super cool that you would take the time to come to our little corner of the internet and talk with us and give guidance. That makes my heart feel good! You are a class act!

5 Likes

Which of your courses would you recommend as a next step to someone who just finished BassBuzz?

3 Likes

Hey @markjsmith - great to have you here!
Lots of love for talkingbass here.
Many of us feel its the best next logical step after @JoshFossgreen’s fantastic B2B, and many of us have taken loads of your courses.
Thanks for connecting in

5 Likes

@markjsmith

Hey Mark! Very glad you’re here. Also, too bad you won’t be nearer to Austin, as you had once planned. I was looking forward to treating you to some killer Texas barbecue and suds.

I’ve been working through a slew of your courses (seven, so far). They are great and they’ve had a huge impact on my bass musicianship. Thanks for that. Keep on keepin’ on and don’t be a stranger.

4 Likes

Depends. My default answer is Chord Tone Essentials or Simple Steps To Sight Reading. All depends on what you want to learn. Both will provide a huge amount of learning resources. The reading course will take many years to complete (beginner to advanced studio professional level) and Chord Tone Essentials will fuel your study for a few years too.

The new Groove Trainer course is also a good one and a follow up to Bassic Fundamentals. That means the beginner path is now Beginner Bass Guitar- Bassic Fundamentals - Groove Trainer.

Chord Tone Essentials is a deep dive into harmony and how to apply chord tones essentials to your fretboard and bass lines.

For those of you with an SBL membership then the Pathway courses are good.

9 Likes

I am currently working the Pathways at Level 2 and will soon move to Level 3. It was a big step from B2B but once I got used to the lessons and what they are teaching, it is fine now.

2 Likes

BTW, when I read your intro line on your post, it sounded like your voice in my head reading it.

8 Likes

Hey @markjsmith! Your classes are really next level, and thank you for producing such excellent free content as well.

5 Likes

Thank you. I will be purchasing the Groove Trainer tonight.

3 Likes