After Bassbuzz

I am about to start with Scott’s Players Path I think. I want to get better and think this may be my best choice until Josh gives us another course. I know SBL gets slammed for his banter, however, I like the info found within that banter. He has a 14 day free trial offer that I will take to check it out.

9 Likes

There are a couple threads on this topic already, here is one…

Please always try to find an existing thread before creating a new one as it keeps info better organized. Thanks!

4 Likes

Okay

2 Likes

I did the free trial of SBL player’s path. I dropped it after a couple of days and did B2B instead.

I thought SBL would offer me what I wanted in the player’s path, but I just couldn’t stand Scott’s constant meandering.

Regardless, I hope you find what you’re looking for from SBL.

4 Likes

I don’t mind the meandering. I tend to do it when my mind is dispensing awesome information.

2 Likes

Life after BassBuzz…

I moved onto the 50 song Challenge. When I got tired of that I explored other instruments, and now I’m gravitating back to Bass. I’m thinking about going thru the course a second time to review.

9 Likes

Dan Hawkins, Talking Bass, Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete PDF book, Afro-Cuban Bass Methods, whatever swings your butt…tons of stuff.
Do a sight reading class.
****Go thru all the free Talking Bass videos that compliment all the BassBuzz modules.
Hopefully Josh comes out with a new intermediate course.
A song per week per skill level in addition to the modules. Even if its one of songs from the module

3 Likes

I signed up for Stu Hamm’s funk bass course through Truefire. There’s a bunch of good stuff here, and at least the course I’m doing is somewhat similar to B2B. Also, the prices are very decent.

https://truefire.com/search/?q=bass

I also bought Ari Cap’s book on music theory for bassists and it includes circa 80 video lessons on her website.

5 Likes

I bought both of Ari’s books…the one on theory and the one on patterns. Haven’t started with them yet. I signed up for SBL’s free trial period. He does meander quite a bit to get to a point. That is a little distracting but I will keep going and see if he get’s better as time goes. I can cancel at any time within two weeks and not be charged so we’ll see. I normally don’t mind meandering while talking but his is a little excessive.

3 Likes

@EddieJones best wishes with Players Path. SBL is hugely successful, so there must be a lot of people who like him and his teaching style (I’m not one of them). He may be just perfect for you, who knows. I tried his trial period a few years ago and bailed after less than a week.

5 Likes

It will be hard to find a good teacher like Josh. I’ll try til one clicks

4 Likes

Great Caesar’s ghost, yes!

3 Likes

We’ll, SBL is not my style. Even on elementary stuff, Scott talks shit, shows off and does not get into the meat of a lesson. I’m done. I tried 11 lessons and canceled. It was no help at all.

6 Likes

Sorry it didn’t work, man. Still, you got further with the dude than I could, so kudos for that.

FWIW, Mark Smith at TalkingBass.net is a great teacher if you want some seriously good, meaty lessons. His style is straight-up college music school, so he’s not nearly as warm and cozy as Josh is, and his material requires you putting in a lot of work, but the results are very worthwhile. Just my take.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d second the recommendation for Mark’s stuff.

6 Likes

I third

3 Likes

I fourth TalkingBass

4 Likes

Maybe it’s like Twitter, a bunch of fake accounts! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I don’t dislike the guy, but I don’t like him either. I guess that makes me neutral, like the Swiss!

4 Likes

I raise you a Nickel!

3 Likes