After Bassbuzz

Can’t be neutral. Take your Nickelback.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think I just found a good one…StudyBass. Andrew Pouska is the teacher and seems to be very personable, much like my favorite, Josh. He does not have the same sense of humor but his teaching is very focused on the subject at hand, concise and he goes in depth teaching the bass. He tries to make you think of the bass not as just another “guitar” but as one of the driving forces behind the entire song. Without bass, you just have a guitar player wanking around. The bass/drums propel the song forward. He does not show off, does not talk shit about nothing, and I think this one might work out. It is free but he does ask for donations to help keep the site up and running. Also, by becoming a supporting member, you have access to hundreds of jam tracks, study packs and other lessons. The layout is really easy to manipulate, much like BassBuzz wherein the lessons are in order and are in blocks. As he explains, he tries to teach as if he were on PBS. It is a little dry, which is fine, but the knowledge he goes over is very detailed, concise and deep.

8 Likes

Congrats. StudyBass is very good. I checked out Andrew Pouska’s lessons thoroughly before opting for B2B. Josh’s slick production values, beginner-based curriculum, bite-sized lessons and light-hearted presentation won the day for me.

Similarly, but very different nonetheless, Mark Smith’s no-nonsense, information-intense, encyclopedic array of study topics, rapid-fire music school approach - firmly grounded in a pro bass player’s life experiences - is what I appreciate.

That said, I think Andrew offers a ton of very good lessons for essentially free (donations encouraged, though).

Good luck and have fun. @EddieJones.

4 Likes

I loved Josh’s personality when teaching. I do think BassBuzz is the best vehicle for beginner to almost intermediate bassist. Josh teaches fundamentals that make it easy to fall in love with the instrument. In checking with various online resources, I did find Scott distracting, Ari is a little above my pay grade at the moment as is Mark. But Andrew may be the mid point between Josh and someone like Mark or Ari for me. I bought Ari’s books and do have access to all her videos from the books. I tried one last night and she was just moving too fast for me at this stage, although I can see myself coming back to her as I progress. I think I am going to go ahead and pay StudyBass the annual fee and get started. I want to learn this instrument to the point that my fingers and brain just know what to do without thinking. It has become a slight obsession. Right now, I am considering another bass and fight the urge to hit the “Buy Now” button every day. The Garz I posted in an earlier topic has been screaming my name for days now. So far, I have resisted it’s siren call. But the will is weak.

4 Likes

I went with B2B but I like study bass as well.

2 Likes

As a BassBuzz alumni, I just wanted something to further my knowledge and skills

I’d you don’t mind studying out of a book, Hal Leonard Bass Method by Ed Friedland is good.

He also has a YouTube Chanel where he posts instructional videos from time to time. His learn the neck 5 part video is good.

3 Likes

I will use whatever tools I can to get to the status of “Bass Genius”.

1 Like

Every instrument has someone whispering about it.
There a “well known” sax whisperer, others too.
I’ve yet to see any of them whisper a single thing.
And is that really the best technique for teaching? Who are they?
Who (or what) are they whispering to?
Why don’t they actually whisper?

Speak up man!

2 Likes

Check out Dan Hawkins on YT. He has courses & I think he’s an xlnt teacher. Cheers.

2 Likes

I like Dan a lot, too. He’s a very good player and he knows his stuff.

His free video presentations are pretty free-ranging, though. They feel to me like he’s talking in the moment as opposed to speaking from a curriculum.

2 Likes

I like him as well but his courses are a bit more advanced. Intermediate and up (in general)

2 Likes

I think the curriculum is what I really need. I think Josh’s style of teaching in stairsteps is more my style and I think that is what I like about Andrew.

3 Likes

Very cool. Glad to hear you found what you’re looking for. That’s what counts.

2 Likes

I can only recommend YouTube lessons by the late Jim Stinnett. He was a great instructor and his channel is a goldmine if you put in the effort and follow his constant advice of thorough repetition. Pick one video, grab your bass, and do as he says! Use the playback speed option to slow down lessons that are too fast for you. Then repeat, repeat, repeat until you can play that stuff in your sleep.

If you can read music, I also recommend his books which are still available at his website. (And if you can’t there’s an awesome sightreading course over at talkingbass.net)

7 Likes

:100:

1 Like

He has a beginner course a well. Also, I have seen a lot of Talking Bass, and Luke the Bassist videos on YT that I found valuable. SBL too.

2 Likes

He passed away last year. Many people enjoyed his teachings from the mass of Music forums on the Web

3 Likes

Yes, it’s sad… However, I’m sure that his channel will be kept online by his family. His son is also a bass player and teacher and his wife is still operating the bookstore (at least when I ordered last time, after he had passed.) www.stinnettmusicbookstore.com

3 Likes

Oh that is sad news that he passed away… I liked his videos. Rest in peace

1 Like