After pre-amp box, what multi-effects budget processor?

Hello, to connect to my old pre-amp box (3 EQ buttons, no pedals) for my 10w practice amp to boost my J-Bass; as I do not need stompboxes or fancy recording gear, what durable multi-effects one-stop processor that’s under USD$ 120-ish (if any exist!) would you all recommend? Unsure if I need a Zoom pedal B4 series (still mulling it over), but is there is a larger body model of a basic effects box that’s built rather than a wee pedal? Something that I may add on to in the future, but my goal now is to work with effects in a semi-portable device that need not be on batteries or made primarily for stage work (as my aims are just for practicing/jams at home). Something w/AC adapter that could rest on a desktop or atop an amp is fine; no need for something I can fit into a pocket. Very open to bargain vintage processors as used. Finally, curious as I’d have a laptop pretty much anywhere, would bypassing external processors be better advised, finding online freeware/ software (any ideas for newbies?) to tinker with? (My boyhood dream of sound engineering here at last) And if you have any to sell, well, I’m here)… Thanks~

1 Like

You probably won’t find a better deal than a Zoom B1four, maybe used, or other used Zoom. That said:

This is what I do. I sold all my pedals over the last year and am much happier just doing everything in the DAW. However, it’s not necessarily cheaper.

It’s definitely more convenient though. And a much nicer workflow while mixing and mastering, especially if you are using other instruments and not just a backing track.

Lots of great effects and amp/cab sims out there available as DAW plugins. The tradeoff is they are a little more tricky to use in real time than a pedal; less tactile and fiddly as well. But way more flexible.

4 Likes

Thanks as before, @howard … Are there any budget analogies for bass modelers to such guitar models as the TC 100, Moore P100 (too tiny), Behringer 3d RD 2000, range of multi effects processors that are !arger than pedals? As in the old Line 6 POD or low-end Yamaha FX5000B, Korg A5B or Boss ME 8B types of basic gear that would complement the separate pre-amp box I have? Suited for arm’s reach rather than down on a pedalboard?

Good question, not sure for the low end/budget range - they likely exist but I don’t know them. The low end is pretty well served by Zoom (B1four, B3n) and Boss (GT-1B) and a few other smaller brand pedals.

High end, sure, and in fact a Helix would be an excellent choice for bass just like guitar. NeuralDSP Quad Cortex is a large pedal format but basically a Helix-like product as well.

You can also still find used Bass PODs, both rackmounts and beans; in fact @terb collects them.

That said, you can likely run your bass into a preamp and then into a Zoom just fine too.

1 Like

yeah and even the pedal versions (often called “live”) can be pretty interesting for an all-around setup, if you find one in good shape. the rack and bean versions are more focused on studio use.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure. Just like my Line6 POD X3 (tipped by @Terb) the Helix is great for bass too.

2 Likes

I found a Zoom B1 for about $35.00 (?) and can’t imagine needing more for the moment. I found mine on Reverb.

4 Likes

I have this too thanks to @terb and really like it. The used price is pretty good. I think it’s a hidden gem. It also has a USB port that makes it usable as a DAI. It has a second input that can be used for a mic. I can’t think of a better value for everything it has in there.

5 Likes

yeah, overall the Pod X3 is the one that gives you the more for the money, in my opinion. I agree to say it’s a hidden gem.

5 Likes

Thanks again, everybody. I will surely get a Zoom eventually, but for now (my wife keeps me on an allowance), for my 10w amp, I got secondhand both a 1990-ish Stewart UDP pre-amp and a Digitech BP8 tube processor-pedal, so old they’re made of metal, in the US of A :us: After jamming with an experienced guitar gear-head pal (and a bass dabbler too), I thought it’d be fun to try analog, given my Rumble 40 studio is a digital monolith; not sure if the BP8 plus the Rumble would get along if I hooked them up, but I’ll find out.

2 Likes

Cool! Very interesting.

FWIW other than my first Zoom and a Behringer BDI-21, every pedal I have ever bought was made of metal, including the ones made in China :rofl:

2 Likes

Speaking of supply chains, friends, one more question for now. Budgeted some $$$ for used Voodoo Labs 4x4, that preamp and processor already mentioned. Basic pedals on the way: Sonicake 3x Looper, Crybot filter, Sonic Ambiance reverb\delay. Aiming at sustained, drone, shoegaze, neo-psych, postpunk textures. Any recommendations for the remaining slot? And\or pedalboard DIY for a clumsy, non-techie, no soldering, .homebody guy with no need for a stage?

2 Likes

For post-punk you will want a chorus. I recommend an EHX Bass Clone.

2 Likes

Thanks again for reliable advice, @howard. Just ordered it…wasn’t aware Hooky used this, and it reminds me of the Cure too. Heard Nirvana liked it too.

1 Like

Yeah Hooky’s used either a Clone Theory or one of its descendants the whole time, basically always on. The Bass Clone is super cool because of its crossover, really versatile chorus, and inexpensive. I think it sounds better than most other chorus pedals out there.

1 Like