Ahhhh... wounded

This might sound more familiar for you:

Note the guitar bit starting at 3:00. Bill Bruford, who did the drumming on that track, remembers that solo as a highlight in his career.

1 Like

This is, of course, very, very awesome, not least from a rhythm section point of view. I had a newer version in the “Music Friday” thread waaaaay back when, and commented on how deceiptively simple that main groove sounds, but it is sooo hard to make it “swing”/flow with ease…

By the way, you might appreciate what Alex Machacek (a young Austrian guitar player) is doing here (Marco Minnemann is also putting in an awesome effort, even though he is no Bill Bruford; very different styles):

Been a long time, baby! (in the style of Elvis)

I’ve never thought there was much competition for the title.

3 Likes

Oh there was that bloke Thijs Van Leer from Dutch band Focus.
Would they be classed as rock?

2 Likes

Speaking of Rock Flute players… I have always been partial to Ray Thomas (RIP) from the Moody Blues. My dad raised me on the Moody Blues…love all their stuff but especially their early stuff from In Search of the Lost Chord and Days of Future Past.

For the young ones out there…here is a classic piece. Nights in White Satin (Flute solo at 2:56)

2 Likes

They’re from my hometown Birmingham UK. Ray’s from Stourport on Severn about 15 miles away.
I was never keen though (not that I didn’t think they were good). In fact when we were tripping on acid I had to leave the room if their music got played.
Not my scene at all.

2 Likes

Agree with what you are saying about circumstance, but in my brain “rock” and “flutist” do not belong together. :upside_down_face:

Chrysalis disagrees.

1 Like

:rofl:

Yes, but Focus never won a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental.

@faamecanic how’s your finger now? It’s been nearly a week.

2 Likes

Yeah but just look at this focus performance. This is probably my favorite video of a band playing on a set. All the musicians are so skilled. And the yodeling is unmatched.

3 Likes

It’s not Jan Akkerman for nothing manhandling that Les Paul there. Focus was one of our '70s best bands. Not right up there with Supersister, but close. And yes… Thijs van Leer was disturbingly mad. :wink:

1 Like

This is a statement I never expected see. :rofl:

5 Likes

I could whistle, sing or yodel as good as Thijs van Leer I wouldn’t feel the need to play bass or guitar anymore.

2 Likes

None of those require your hands though, so you could do both, like Sting. We’ll, he doesn’t yodel (that I’ve heard) but he does sing and play bass.

1 Like

Hey Pam… sorry been busy with work. Working from home requires me to work more than at the office it seems :slight_smile:
Finger was good. About 5 days latter it was scabbed up and I kept playing. Also worked with the pick as someone suggested. That is gonna take a lot more practice!

1 Like