All Things Midi Including Controllers

You see all those knobs on your MIDI controller? You can hook them up to the controls in your plugins, and then change the plugin parameters by twisting the knobs on your MIDI controller.

2 Likes

I’m a Long way off in the MIDI learning curve before I tackle something like that @howard. I don’t even know what those knobs and sliders are supposed to do.

What they are supposed to do is control the knobs and sliders on the screen in your DAW and plugins :slight_smile:

For example, you can map the fader sliders on the MIDI controller to the track and master volume faders in Reaper.

3 Likes

Stop it stop it stop it!
Stop making this interesting!!!
How do you unfollow a thread that might cost more money and time and braincells.

3 Likes

Lol @John_E

@howard as soon as my new MIDI keyboard arrives (scheduled for Tuesday), I’ll spend some time figuring this out.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me how to program these two buttons on the M-Audio Oxygen?

1 Like

A new bag of candy arrived from Sweetwater for Sara, along with the M-Audio Oxygen49 MKV that I ordered. It was scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but FedEx delivered it yesterday (2 days early). I didn’t know FedEx even delivered on Sundays.

I’ll be busy all day watching YouTube videos and pouring though the manual trying to figure out all these knobs, buttons, and sliders; and how they interact with Reaper.
I hope it’s as easy as @howard says it is! :scream:

4 Likes

That is a nice surprise!

I would focus on the keys and pads first before you really dive into the knobs and sliders. :wink: The lay-out/mapping for using the keys and pads is often automatically configured by the DAW.

1 Like

The keys are not the issue at all, it plays beautifully and all the notes are where they’re supposed to be :smile_cat: :musical_keyboard:

Someone else mentioned that bit about the buttons and sliders and pads being automatically configured by Reaper, but so far, nobody has elaborated on exactly how I make that so.

1 Like

I was a bit perturbed that this keyboard doesn’t have a means with which to mount a music sheet holder, so I crafted my own.

The music stand and tray are designed to clamp onto a mic stand, so I invented a facsimile of a mic stand out of odds and ends I had in my shop. A 1/2 inch floor flange; some 1/2 inch PVC and adapter; 1/2 inch wooden dowel; wood glue; and flat black paint. Voila, instant mic stand!

1 Like

This layout is different than my MKV.
I have no labeling of C24 C25 or WTF on mine.

Was this picture from your actual keyboard?
I noticed that the overall picture of your keyboard looked the same as mine.

1 Like

LOL no, it’s a screen capture from this YouTube tutorial. I just found it to be funny… Panic button, and WTF button :smile_cat:

2 Likes

You do have a Panic listing, but no button, just below the pads on the right hand side. But no WTF.

I have no idea what it is for, or how to access it, yet.

1 Like

I’ve read through the manual (all 9 pages, eyeroll) and watched a video and still have no clue what to do with THAT or any of those buttons, sliders, knobs, and pads. The manual is written in some sort of language that only @howard or Glenn Fricker can understand.
I wish I could find someone (YouTube or elsewhere) to explain this in plain English.

For now, all it is is 49 piano keys, and I’ll just go with that until someone can explain this to me.

I just downloaded the online manual for the Oxygen MKV and it’s much more comprehensive than that wee booklet that came in the box. Maybe this will help.
Reading

1 Like

You can also look at Kenny’s videos on Reaper.
I found some useful info there also.

I have to say this is one of the deepest rabbit holes I have been in in a long time but I am sure it will be worth it in the long run. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Does he have one regarding the Oxygen MKV?

Not that I have seen but if you find something you want to do, such as assigning knobs to a reaper function, you should be able to figure it out quite easily.
Most of his videos are generic like that.

1 Like

Oh?

I’m watching his video on MIDI keyboards now. Maybe I’ll pick up a nugget of knowledge.

Right now, I have no clue how to assign anything to anything in Reaper.