All Things Midi Including Controllers

I recently purchased a used M-Audio Oxygen49 MKIV keyboard (old model) on Reverb. My purpose for buying this was to assist me in transcribing. Once I got it setup and connected to my music room laptop, and got a piano plugin installed in Reaper, I played a couple of notes. When I heard those piano tones coming though the 6 inch studio monitors, I was astounded!
I banged out a couple chords, then did a couple chord progressions, and then (gasp) a crappy attempt at Heart and Soul (funny how stuff you learned as a kid sticks with you). Then, I played a couple simple songs that I know how to play on the bass; Happy Birthday and Jingle Bells. Holy keyboard Batman! Now I’m hooked!
So much for buying this strictly for transcribing. I’m really enjoying this.
@howard is probably rolling in his chair laughing at me now :smiley_cat:

8 Likes

Well, that was easy.
Now, let’s talk saxes…

4 Likes

ba1c5c50dcee7d9e8f424cda70c93e64dd7510790c7039002f549d5c962787ff.0

6 Likes

I’ve had some minor problems with this keyboard, so the seller on Reverb has agreed to a return and sent me a prepaid return label.
Sara is low on candy, so I ordered the latest version of this keyboard (Oxygen49 MKV) from Sweetwater. It shipped today, so Sara should have her candy next week.

6 Likes

Based on my recent order, Sweetwater sent me this very informative and interesting article about MIDI. My eyes glazed over about halfway though, but it’s stuff that I didn’t realize before.

4 Likes

@howard is not the only one :rofl:

4 Likes

Pam, there is so much to learn in this space. My two Berklee classes are dealing with this very topic (taking Logic and Ableton Production). Sometimes, the tech can get in the way of the music, but once you learn, can be very powerful. MIDI without expression is very mechanical, but with that controller and CC message assignments, will make them very musical. Happy to answer questions and I am sure @howard would jump in.

5 Likes

It’s like waving a red cape at a bull :rofl:

5 Likes

Be careful not to step into the world of synths. I just got this B-stock synthesizer from Waldorf that can also act as a midi keyboard. Already have two mini synths from that brand and one Moog. :see_no_evil:

Yes I play this keyboard with my toes while playing the bass :joy:

5 Likes

Video please!

4 Likes

Wow, this is great. Welcome to the world of synths :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was wondering how long it would take you to show up here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

She tagged me, so not long :slight_smile:

Seriously this is awesome, keyboards are great. And there’s a ton of very good and inexpensive synths and other virtual instruments out there. Even good free ones.

3 Likes

My Midi keyboard led me back to Reaper which got me to thinking that the tone I disliked on my TRBX304 could probably be fixed going through Reaper plugins.

I have not tried this yet because I keep jumping from rabbit hole to rabbit hole.

I think I am spending way too much time on this forum :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Any recommendations?

1 Like

I actually don’t use many free ones (I have purchased the instruments that I wanted) but there’s tons out there.

NI offers a free intro to Komplete:

A lot of people like Surge as a synth:

This one is a VSTi wrapping a sample library of 19 orchestra instruments and looks super interesting, I might grab it (it’s huge though, 3GB orchestral sample library):

https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html

Really the best thing to do is google them. You can also check out the “Free” category on PluginBoutique.

5 Likes

I got my hands on an organ plugin that sounds pretty good, although I’m not sure what to do with it. Maybe I’ll do a Phantom of the Opera cover (shrug).

1 Like

Pam, try and learn how to map your MIDI controller knobs/faders to plugin. It’s a good first step to learning both pieces. Plus, that will allow you to add more expression to your sound. There should be a manual for the plug in which tells you what MIDI CC messages do what to the plugin.

3 Likes

This ^^

Additionally many plugins support “MIDI Learn” and make this super easy (usually, toggle Learn, click the plugin UI element you want to control, and twist the knob on your controller - boom, it’s wired up.)

4 Likes

@howard and @Sully you guys are talking waaay over my head LOL.