All Things Midi Including Controllers

Which is why I am not trying to talk anyone in to buying one.

She asked the question about why someone would want something like that; I answered :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I never use mine in Reaper, mostly because i dont have my keyboard with me when iā€™m working on stuff at Starbucks and also iā€™m too lazy to set them up :slight_smile: ā€¦ but my arturia keyboard automatically maps the controls to the different synths in Arturia Analog Lab V which is really nice.

The neat thing is that it changes the appearance of the keyboard in the software and the mappings based on which model of keyboard you have.

2 Likes

ā€¦ And did a fine job of it :smiley:

1 Like

@howard do you know how he got that pitch bend, modulation wheel, and that big thingy in the middle with all the knobs on it? He doesnā€™t explain that in this video.
Thanks

ā€œBig thingyā€ - you mean the synthesizer he is using? That just looked like a very simple synth VSTi plugin to me.

Pitch Bend and Modulation are physical wheels on the MIDI controller, pretty standard to all MIDI controllers. I am not sure where he got the onscreen display for that from, might be built in to Reaper; I havenā€™t used it (I always map things to specific controls in plugins).

This is what popping open a synth VSTi looks like for me in Reaper:

You can see along the top, mappings for the mod wheel and four macro knobs that I can map to the knobs on my synth to control the sound parameters of this patch.

Pretty representative project, 13 tracks plus the reference track I used to transcribe and figure out song structure; that gets muted permanently after that.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious because my keyboard has these two wheel looking things on the left side that donā€™t do anything at all.

I was just wondering if Iā€™m supposed to map them to something so they at least do something instead of just sitting there decorating the keyboard.
I saw those two little windows in Kennyā€™s video and thought that might be it.

1 Like

the pitch control doesnā€™t modify the pitch of the note thatā€™s playing?

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the mod wheel and pitch bend control he was using in that video. What you saw was him mapping exactly those two wheels to the knobs and sliders in that synth he was using.

In my example, the Mod Wheel is mapped to the Mod Wheel control in the synth patch I have up there.

I am a little surprised the mod wheel and pitch bend arenā€™t doing anything for the software Piano you are using; usually those two are automatically mapped. Maybe in this case the piano is just playing back samples and doesnā€™t support them.

2 Likes

Nope! It doesnā€™t do a thing

I just tried the mod thing and the pitch thing in the bass guitar plugin I have, and they both worked. I guess itā€™s just Piano One that doesnā€™t work.

Thanks, Iā€™ve got that one solved!

1 Like

They work in the organ plugin also :beer:

1 Like

Yeah they are pretty ubiquitous; those two controls have been on nearly every hardware synth and MIDI keyboard made for the last 40 years.

1 Like

Iā€™m new on this planet (MIDI) so I will be asking many more stupid questions. Please be patient with me.

2 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a big world, just take it slowly.

1 Like

Another tip here - pick a good drum VSTi :slight_smile:

If SSD5 didnā€™t have its own per-drum faders and proper compression I would have an additional 10 or so tracks to worry about. As it is now I just use the normal VSTi outs as a drum bus and mix the kit inside the VSTi. The tracks would blow up fast if I couldnā€™t do that (or the kits werenā€™t compressed well). Iā€™ll have to do this if I ever use the raw drums but so far I am liking the preset kits.

3 Likes

Suggestions?

You donā€™t need one, you have a drum machine :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s lots of good drum plugins, though. A lot of people like Addictive Drums. I use Steven Slate Drums 5. Thereā€™s some other really good ones.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of selling it

In that case, if you do, you might like EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, SSD5, several others. But realize these are musical instrument plugins and wonā€™t be the same as jamming along to your drum machine. You can make them do the same thing, but only in the DAW. these are for making music with more than using as practice tools.

That said, I do use mine as a practice tool. But I never play away from my computer.

2 Likes

Yeah, why not use @gcancellaā€™s grooveful applet instead!? Awesome for grooving along and exploring rhythm and how to shadow a drum groove etc. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes