Alpha Omicron

Hello,

Just wanted to show you guys my latest acquisition, the Alpha Omicron overdrive.

Let me tell you, what a killer sound!!

Give me your opinions…

5 Likes

Oh very nice indeed :slight_smile:

It’s tied for my favorite bass drive pedal, with the Microtubes X. In my opinion the Alpha Omicron is one of the best pedals I have ever heard. Excellent choice!

3 Likes

Thanks Howard!

I’m still playing around with it, but yes!! It’s amazing!!

The only one I’m not really enjoying is the Scrambler… I’m kind of using it as a smooth OD or almost fuzz…

1 Like

Yeah, I sold my SCR-DI because I actually hated the scrambler. Not just mild dislike, I think it’s actually bad :slight_smile:

Which is sad because the rest of the unit is great. Nice preamp, nice tone.

2 Likes

And end up trading for what?

1 Like

I have had a long preamp journey :slight_smile:

I went from the SCR-DI to an EHX Battalion and a Behringer BDI-21. Then I sold those and bought a Tech-21 VT Bass DI and a EBS ValveDrive. Then I fried the VT Bass DI.

Love the ValveDrive though.

2 Likes

I like the DI so much that I just decided to ignore the Scrambler :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a really good DI. I love the tone it adds, subtle but still ampeg-ey. UltraHi and UltraLo are great too.

2 Likes

Nice selection of pedals. What do you think of the MXR Bass Compressor?

2 Likes

Love It!!

I believe it’s one of the best compressors, side by side with the EBS one…

1 Like

Good to hear. ovnilabs.com gave it high marks.

The only slighlty negative thing he said about it was that it can be harder than some others when dialing it in. Does this fit with your experience?

1 Like

Not really… I just got the instructions from the manual and set the thresholds…
It works, does not buzz or hum… It’s always on and looks nice… Overall a great experience :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah that compressor is almost universally loved. I considered it myself.

How are you liking the Darkglass so far?

1 Like

I’m using to mimic Timmy’s Rage Against the Machine tone and is working well… Not quite the same because he has more pedals in chain…
But since I was using the Scrambler and now the AOM, the difference and improvement is huge!

I was trying to get Westenholme’s (from Muse) tone, but then again I would need a synth, fuzz and other digital pedals… Each music is a bit different…

2 Likes

Big Muff will go a long way towards Wolstenholme’s tone, at least for Hysteria. Needs some kind of synthbass to really nail it though I bet.

2 Likes

Yeah… The big Muff it’s on my wish list and will probably be the next one…
I just need to nail the technique before investing in more gear… Sadly… :joy:

2 Likes

@howard do you think a Big Muff would be better than a distortion pedal?

1 Like

I use both :slight_smile:

Wolstenholme definitely uses both as well. His signal chain is super complex. His distortion pedal (Human Gear Animato) is also extremely rare and sought after; used ones start at around $350.

Crazy setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSsE-skFkv4

Basically, Big Muff, Distortion, and Octaver look like the core to me.

3 Likes

“press my distortion now, Jeevs”

4 Likes

It’s good to be the king.

3 Likes