Alternate plucking on triplets

So I’ve got this dead simple set of 8 triplets in the middle of a song:

But…I have to do just those 2 bars and so (at least for now) I have to count the beats. If I do alternate plucking then each triplet starts on a different finger and I end up counting the beats on every other index finger rather than alternating the count. It’s driving me mad. maybe just more practice starting slow, but…if I do all the plucking with just my index finger (no alternating) it’s easy. But…probably only because it’s a relatively slow 118 BPM.

So I can’t decide whether to persist with alternate or just go with single finger, and maybe get into a bad habit!

1 Like

I would advise against the 1 finger approach. We aren’t all Jamerson lol. Personally I wouldn’t count it, just hear the rhythm. When I start paying attention to what my plucking hand is doing it throws me off and since you’re trying to count while at the same time focusing on what finger you’re starting with, that sounds like too much to process and also pay attention to the music. Try slowing it down and incrementally step up the tempo until you’re comfortable

5 Likes

Well when you slow it down what does your body tell you. Sometimes it’s good to lock the pattern but true alternating is just great for everyone. It’s kinda feel like doing a paradiddle on the bass.

Same note same string is easy to alternate cross the strings and add some color to the pattern will make things more interesting too.

1 Like

Yeah I suspect that’s what I’m going to have to do. It’s not so long that I shouldn’t be able to feel the right exit point. And actually just practising today I noticed that the drums play one tom tom for one bar and then switch to the other for the second bar which should make it easier!

What song is this in btw? Would be easier to help if I could hear the bass line in context! Sometimes the best way to learn is just to listen. As you already seem to have noticed, there’s usually cues from the other instruments on when to start/stop.

It’s Money by Pink Floyd and it’s the link/bridge between the sax solo and the guitar solo. And is also a change from 7:4 to 4:4.

Ok I just listened to it, IMO that would be exceptionally difficult to do with one finger so just throw that idea right out lol

As I tapped along to it, I did actually count it like
1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3… I also know that song by heart so it wasn’t too tough. Counting might actually be helpful in this case, just keep at it until you memorize exactly where the change into that walking part of the line is, and as I said try to just slow it down and get the rhythm under your fingers. You’ll get it!

There’s nothing wrong with starting each triplet with your index finger (or middle finger, if you like). It all depends on what works for you, personally.

That said, if you’d like to master alternate plucking with triplets, start with some slo-o-o-w practice and counting — I mean slow.

You can easily practice this technique on a muted string, to make things as simple as possible. It is very doable and ultimately worthwhile to learn, to prepare yourself for more complex triplet workouts to come. Good luck.

1 Like

Alternate!
If you give this time, you’ll succeed in breaking through one of the toughest challenges with alternate plucking - getting your brain and body to let either finger be on the beat.

Ideally, alternate plucking is like breathing.
You’ll be able to walk/run with a breathing pattern that is independent from your body’s movements.
Same with plucking.

The alternating - ideally - is automatic, and what the rhythm and fretting hand are doing becomes an independent and separate thing.

I agree with the ‘try it slow’ approach, and heartily and emphatically encourage you to try and overcome this barrier!! It’s there for all players, and finding ways to overcome it is massively important!

2 Likes