Alternative to OC-2

I don’t really dig my Made in Japan OC-2. I bought it early on and although love the tone just don’t like the drop in volume and the not so fantastic tracking, etc.

I would like something that sounds as close as possible but would like to look at things other than the new Boss OC-5 as I just can’t stand how Boss pedals power on by themselves when power is applied to the power supply.

Any recos?

Additionally, if anyone is interested in buying it, I would sell it for here $170, free shipping CONUS, at cost elsewhere.

2 Likes

I’m confused a little by what you mean here - almost all pedals are powered on when the power supply is on. The bypass switch is not an on/off for most pedals.

3 Likes

EHX Micro POG?

3 Likes

That’s too bad you aren’t considering the OC-5. They fixed the volume drop and provide a second mode (polyphonic) with better tracking.

2 Likes

Hopefully I timestamped this ok, but if not, scrub forward to 22 min 25 secs:

2 Likes

Sorry, mean they power up as being ‘engaged’, pedal pressed. This is an annoying ‘feature’ of BOSS pedals.

1 Like

I am considering, just want to do some research first. I do like the upper octave they added as well.

2 Likes

how do you do that ‘timestamp’ thing?

1 Like

One thing I am also looking at is how it works with sax. The OC-2 is really cool for adding some deep subtones to tenor, adding in essentially a bass sax. Also have a Boss Harmonist which allows for some interesting ‘sax sections’ from one sax options.

I like the POG but like the full size one even better for some of that stuff. Crazy expensive though.

2 Likes

I have the TC Electronics Sub n Up full sized. they are not as expensive as all the others, but perform excellently, with Sub, Sub2 and Up, along with Toneprints. I got mine for like $119 with some patch cables and something else off Amazon.

1 Like

MXR Vintage Bass Octave Effect Pedal (M280) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2K1JHD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_F1BJT2CRZM0YKZ8APP3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Was recommended to me as an affordable alternative.

2 Likes

The MXR doesn’t sound like an OC-2. It’s a nice octaver tho, I have it on my board.

I think i am ‘narrowed’ down to the POG2, OC-5 and TC Sub N Up.
The PO2 is reviewed really positively on horn-fx.com, and would work well with my saxes. They didn’t like the OC-3, but many others didn’t for many reasons so hard to tell about that one for horns. Gregor’s (man I love that guy) review was very positive. The videos I see of the Sub N Up are good too. Ugh.

1 Like

@John_E
Mike ( @itsratso ). loved his Mini POG, and then sold it and got the POG 2, then quickly sold it, was not what he was expecting, I don’t recall exactly what was the major gripe, but you may want to talk to him before investing that kind of money.

1 Like

I just went back and re-listened to all three in a few videos. For $133 I think I am going to update to the OC-5, as it has everything the OC-2 has (specifically that tone!) and I like having the +1 octave. Basically all the POG2 varieties except the +2 octave, and since I don’t want to sound like a guitar, and spend an additional $220 to get it, I will pass.

3 Likes

I have this bad boy on.my pedalboard and love it!

4 Likes

Those sound really good too! Just not the same as the OC dirt/grit.
I was given some corporate award points at work that translate to either some crap you pick out online or gift cards. In the gift card roundup is Guitar Center. So will use for this purpose. I really don’t want two octave pedals. Oh decisions decisions.

3 Likes

no gripe at all with the pog or the mini pog, it’s one of my fave all time pedals. the reason I sold it was actually @T_dub. he had the subnup and said it sounded as good as the pog, was cheaper and with toneprints and a very usable octave down, more flexible. he was right. I have the mini one to save some space.

edit: ah you’re talking about the pog2. the octave down did not play nice with my amp at all, lots of bad low frequency stuff. and the other features I didn’t care for, I preferred the original pog much more. and the pog2 is huge.

4 Likes

I was talking about the brief time you had the POG 2

2 Likes

yep, edited

2 Likes