Alternatives for Fender P

At the moment, FedEx and UPS express shipments are the only reliable way to ship packages from Japan to the US and have a reasonable expectation it will arrive in any kind of timely manner. Apparently those firms have a fast track with customs or something? Who knows. Customs is swamped right now.

I miss EMS.

2 Likes

And with FedEx/UPS themselves.
Even these days there is a lot of ‘backroom deals’ going on with shippers and shipees.
My wife works for a company that outfits kids dorm rooms for college.
They were having shipping issues until her CEO called a ‘friend’ at FedEx….the log jam instantly cleared.
Even today in the electronic age, it is still a lot of ‘who you know’.

2 Likes

Yeah I believe it.

One thing I do know is that shippers here have very tight relationships with the Japanese takkyubin (express package service) companies like Kuroneko, and companies like Kuroneko have very high expectations on their overseas partners, so maybe that is driving it.

Kuroneko and Sagawa are so good here that I just ship guitars in soft cases wrapped in bubble wrap. This is common for private sales. You could probably buy a piece of cake, wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in a paper bag and ship it with Kuroneko, and have it arrive the next day (domestically) in perfect condition. Free $2k insurance on shipping, too, if anything did happen.

I’ve done that with the post office too and it was fine, but I was nervous about it; not so with the takkyubin companies. People routinely ship their golf clubs and skis to resorts they are going to before heading out, and then pick them up the next morning at the hotel lobby. It’s so good.

2 Likes

One other thing that was interesting.
I got a bass from the UK a couple weeks ago about the same value - import duty =$92.
Import duty from Japan = $0
I was fully expecting an import duty bill on this last one too.

4 Likes

Import duties are uncertain. It all depends if the agent selects a particular package for duty.

5 Likes

Anyone has some experience with a Sire P5? It’s pretty hard to get your hands on one.

Edit: just found this thread GEAR TALK | Sire Marcus Miller P5

2 Likes

There are a couple of reviews on YT. But production delays have meant that we’re going to be into the New year before they start shipping.
I was interested but I didn’t want to wait 6 months so in the end bought a Fender P Bass.

4 Likes

Sorry to resurrect this thread but @akos I was wondering how you’re liking the Lakland after all this time? I’m looking at one myself :eyes:

4 Likes

Couldn’t be happier, no issues so far, and they still put a smile on my face. (I have two Skylines, a 44-64 GZ PJ and a DJ-4.) Hopefully they are going to stay with me for a long time.

Which one are you looking at?

4 Likes

I’m looking at the purple GZ PJ, same one that you got I think. My biggest hesitation (beyond the price) is the weights listed on the models available (Sweetwater lists weights for specific models that you can pick) are all at least 11.1 pounds (5.03kg) which a good 1.5 pounds heavier than the one you got. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Also curious how you think the PJ compares to the J?

2 Likes

Well they can always change the specs and materials and such, but it’s also possible that the data is simply wrong. I’m measuring them upright on a kitchen scale, so not the most accurate method, but I’m getting around 4.5 kg for the GZ and around 4.2 kg for the DJ.

In terms of playability they are very similar, both have a J-style neck (38 mm nut), but the DJ-4 also has the tapered neck heel, which makes playing on higher frets a lot easier. Obviously the weight makes a difference too, the J is noticeably lighter, but honestly I don’t find the PJ that heavy either. It’s completely manageable. (I only play at home though, and alternate between sitting and standing, so can’t comment on what they would feel like on stage.)

4 Likes

Managed to measure them lying flat now: got 4725 g for the GZ and 4494 g for the DJ. Both are with strap included (Gruvgear solo strap Neo 4).

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info!

3 Likes

I have a Sire that I love, and a late 70s early 80s Fernandes P style bass which is absolutely amazing…its got so much muscle and plays so well…little slimmer neck than most Fenders I’ve played.

7 Likes

I’m always amazed that Fernandes are so cheap.

6 Likes

Traded my Schecter for a vintage Fernandes strat. @terb convinced me to do the trade :laughing:

Absolutely gorgeous guitar.

7 Likes

Quite possible it was made by either FujiGen or Tokai. Fernandes ships some really high quality stuff for their MIJ lines.

6 Likes

There are sites that will help decode the serial number. Year of the model, company the made it, manufacture date, it’s all in there.

That’s how I know my Squier P was made by CoreTek in December 21.

5 Likes

For that matter if I wanted a Gibson I would rather have a Burny than an Epiphone.

3 Likes

I like the Edward’s Les Paul’s with long tenon. Outstanding instruments.

3 Likes