Alternatives for Fender P

Sandberg’s Electra line are made in Korea (which likely still puts them on par with MIA Fenders and certainly MIJ; Korean made instruments are generally considered high quality, like MIJ.)

The higher end Sandberg basses are made in Germany.

Also, I’ve had excellent service from Warwick. Even on their Made in China Rockbass line. Kind of the opposite experience @akos had with Fender, in fact.

4 Likes

Be careful of the “made in” label. In many cases, the laws regarding where it’s legal to state the country of origin from are lax. You will find a great many products that say “made in Germany” or “made in USA”, when in fact they are no. More often than not they will be made in one of the manufacturing centres are in the East, but shipped back to Germany to be assembled allowing them to state “made in Germany”. Those more expensive(high end?) basses that are claimed to be “made in Germany” might not be.

I don’t see their business strategy in them making their expensive basses in Germany and the others elsewhere. It wouldn’t make much business sense.

All the major guitar companies I can think of are doing this, including Fender, Gibson, Warwick, Dingwall, Sandberg, Supro, Yamaha, Ibanez, and others.

lots of basses made in Indonesia at the moment, for example, by most of those companies I listed.

example, one of the three factories there, making Fenders (see the logo), among others:

decent list of where each is made here:

Exporting the manufacturing of your less expensive models is pretty common with “premium” guitar companies, it turns out.

3 Likes

And, realistically, there isn’t anything wrong with it, so long as QC is maintained and supply chaions remain unbroken. I mean, this is the reason we have such a broad array of affordable, good quality instruments available to us. The problems start when QC is lax, the supply chains break down and the manufacturers start cheaping out on fit-and-finish or materials.

3 Likes

Totally. If the quality is good, and it’s the type you want, it’s all good. Personally I’d trust the purchase of a Dingwall Combustion (made in China, heavily QC’d by a premier vendor) over any Fender, regardless of place of manufacture. YMMV.

I’ve owned four Yamaha Indonesian-made guitars and all were outstanding, fit and finish-wise. Very well made.

The two Warwick Rockbasses I have owned were also fine.

My Yamaha SBV-550, made in Taiwan, has really great fit and finish, better than any Fender I have tried so far. It’s a really high quality instrument.

The common thread here is these are companies famous for good quality control. Do bad ones get out? Sure, but I haven’t seen one.

3 Likes

The pieces for the Electra basses are produced in Korea and assembled in Germany as they clearly state on their website

handselected components by korean manufactures, assembled and designed by sandberg-guitars in germany

For the “made in Germany” ones, just take a look at this video :wink:

6 Likes

I was talking about the premium ones. Cheaper models are usually produced somewhere else but the QC is still done in Germany. Just as my Warwick which was also MiG. I’m just stating the quality in my experience was top notch. The OP was asking about experiences.

I had an old BMW 316i which never needed repairs and was super reliable. That car was awesome! I think most newer cars have more complex engines, wiring and digital stuff going on and are bound to have more troubles? Even my mother had some serious issues with her Japanese car.

4 Likes

Sorry but most of Sandberg’s line is definitely made in Germany in their factory. If I’d have had more money I’d have ordered one. It’s on the horizon though.

5 Likes

The problem with QC is each brand owner decides what to pay for. it’s not just the factory its made in, if the brand owner pays for less checks, worse materials etc then you get worse. This happens in food industry too, all industries. Premium products being made in exact same spaces as low end models.

2 Likes

I’ve owned three VW’s and an Audi. All were fantastic cars.

The Chevy I owned, my first car, was utter trash. A lesson learned young - MIA doesn’t mean jack shit unless the companies take quality seriously - and US auto manufacturing in the '80s didn’t.

I’m not giving any manufacturer the crutch of leaning on nationality. Either make good products and earn the reputation or don’t - and earn the reputation.

3 Likes

There is also another thought here on quality ‘out of the box’ - online sales. If you are in a music store and the quality is crap, you might not buy it. If the bass had all the issues @akos had, you surely wouldn’t.

But in our online world, more crap gets to the consumer than in a store. it is now inherently part of the model we have built for our consumerism sadly.

3 Likes

To answer the OP’s original question…AIO guitars have killer P-Bass’ for sale and the prices are great. https://www.allinoneguitars.com/aiobass

3 Likes

If I didn’t have the basses I have I would be ordering at least one of these AIO

1 Like

They look like a cool company if half of what they claim is true.

2 Likes

@akos - I don’t know if this will be helpful or not, but thought I’d share just in case…

2 Likes

Thanks, absolutely. :slight_smile: It was mostly just Fender vs Fender though. A similar video with all the basses in this thread would save me a lot of research. :slight_smile:

Btw the Sandberg Electra I linked in my first comment has a similar pickup to his MM Cutlass, with 1 big pole per string. I guess that explains why that too sounded different from a real P.

2 Likes

This might help with the Shecters

https://youtu.be/cFmPV8HbCO8

https://youtu.be/vA9QKzmGwho

3 Likes

I wanted a P but didn’t want to spend a lot. I bought a used Squier (don’t hate me) in excellent condition for about 200, a Geezer Butler pickup, and a Hipshot bridge. About $360 combined.

Couldn’t be happier. It’s a P, two knobs, one pickup, simple as it’s meant to be.

Used is an option, let someone else deal with the manufacturer

3 Likes

Pshhht! Squiers are great mod platforms. No one is going to criticize that choice. I’ve posted this elsewhere on the forum, but my Vintage Modified Jazz was just under $300 used. Another ~$150 for Tom Brantley pickups, $75 for a Lindey Fralin pre-wired control plate, and $125 for installation and a solid setup. So, for about $650 total I have a bass that plays like a dream and rivals my, ahem, significantly more expensive boutique p-bass.
The only real concern is the occasional “sticker snob” at a jam or band get-together. Which, I have to admit, at one point in my life would have been me :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Here’s a BB734A vs a MIA P:

BB734A easily took that one IMO. The weird part was the J was better on the BB, and it is the weakest link on the bass.

1 Like