Alternatives for Fender P

Same here with my upgraded Squier, I really think it is an awesome platform to upgrade into awesomeness.

You can always buy a fender sticker and swap ‘em, or, be the cool guy with the modded Squier and tell them they all suck.

1 Like

I’ve considered swapping headstock logos, but given that it’s my hot-rodded bass, I’d have to go with something rude beginning with F in period-correct spaghetti script :grin:

If you are after a non fender p bass and has no budget then there are tons of fantastic choices out there each one has more personalities than the Fender.

That said if your budget is under 1k or $1500 Fender corner the market with fabulous choices. At the end of the day they offer great bang for the bucks in their respective price range.

You can compromise and get something else but at the end of the day it’s not the quintessential precision bass quality you are searching. Like I said there are tons of choices but it’s not going to be in the fender price range.

1 Like

Disagree here. In fact I think it’s the opposite - if you’re willing to go P/J then Fender can’t touch Yamaha and others here in terms of quality for performance, and Yamaha is on the expensive side - ESP have some good options here too. And others.

I’d stack a BB up against a MIA P any day, in terms of quality and tone. At half the price.

And if you’re willing to spend as much as a MIA, that opens up a lot of other choices.

Mileage obviously varies here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If we spread out to P/Js there’s a lot of options on the table. Yamaha and ESP have some good models, but if I were to do it again I would probably go Spector Pulse.

2 Likes

Yep, another good example.

There’s a bunch of Bacchus as well, the Sandberg Electras (MiK and then QC in Germany - might even be higher quality then the Fender), etc.

$880 for an Electra vs $1500 for a MIA Fender is kind of a no-brainer, unless you really want a Fender.

Active/Passive too :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s true with the BB series. I’ll stack my BBNE2 against any jazz bass although I’m secretly hoping that my ne2 is 4 strings, lol. Granted that I have not touch that bass for almost 5 years before all of my Fender collection I know it’s better but again I don’t own a $3000 Fender either. Fender brand is a Blue collar brand. It’s not known to be an expensive brand.

My $100 Squier with $400 upgrades and elbow grease, plays and sound 90% as off the shelf MIA Fender. The last 10% are more of feel and the little extra smile that the US made ones can put on your face, well that and the Good ol’ pride of ownership. Also easy to upgrade because there are tons of 3rd parties making lots of components for it. They make parts that fits like Lego.

PJ is another animal altogether, the second pickup add more to the mix, it could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. That said I’d put my aerodyne against any bb pj too in terms of built quality, feel and tone.

From my experience, Yamaha and Ibanez are great when they are outside the mainstream box, the TRBX are fantastic, Ibanez like my funky Affirma, or the Gary Willis snd the multi scales headless are really great. Their mainstream lineup of both companies are more of the same as Fender imports.

When it comes to P bass I think less is more. There’s much less appeal with “one” instrument that can do it all VS one that can do one or two things great.

1 Like

Yeah, I will say if I was going to get a Fender, it would absolutely be a P :slight_smile:

Probably in Sonic Blue.

If you are after an alternative I would just look for any other bass with p pickup configuration. Its not like Fender is super special or anything :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Try a Maruszczyk Jake, as compared to Fender P Bass in this video:

3 Likes

And - inevitably - their J copy is called “Elwood” :grin:

4 Likes

How about a used Fender that you know has no quality issues?
Lower cost, no QC issues, true Fender P bi’ness.

2 Likes

That would be the way to go if you want a Fender yeah. Or at least the way I would go.

1 Like

There’s zero used market over here

1 Like

where are you again?

1 Like

Ireland

1 Like

If i ever get back to travelling again, I can be your mule.

2 Likes

I’m not clear from your posts whether you’re actually after a P or a PJ but… depending where you are on our soggy little island, my PJ streamer should be here in a few days. If you’re within striking distance of Leixlip (01 area) you’d be welcome to give it a try if it’s an option you’re considering.

1 Like

Either. I’m working under the assumption that a PJ with the J rollled off is equivalent to a P, but let’s not open that can of worms here. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the offer, the Warwick is not in the running at this moment, but we’ll see.