Alternatives for Fender P

Wow :star_struck:

2 Likes

That colour is gorgeous as are the fretboard inlays.

That’s an absolute beauty @akos :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Congratulations @akos
Although it was a difficult journey to start you’ve certainly ended up with something very nice indeed :sunglasses:

1 Like

@LeftyChad Yes, they do! see specs (well, at least the 44-64 (VINTAGE P), although I did not see the transparent purple color offered). Also can get lefty versions of the USA Series 44-94, 44-60 (Vintage J), 44-AJ, Decade 4, and DJ-4 (Darryl Jones Signature), but NOT the Geezer Butler Signature or Series 44-51 models.

That’s all IF you have the :moneybag:!

Congratulations to @akos, anyway! Very nice bass.

edited to add: I was mistaken about the model, so the model above was not right. akos’ provided the link to his Skyline 44-64 GZ PJ model on the Lakland website (I also found it at Sweetwater), but none of the Skyline or Classic Series come in left handed.

2 Likes

That thing looks fantastic. I would much rather have that than the Duff, myself - what a cool P/J. Love the color.

A bit heavy for me but not out of line for that kind of bass.

2 Likes

I might be a bit biased because I’m still pissed at Fender for ruining my dream bass, but honestly now that I’ve had both in my hands, I too am leaning towards the Lakland. Plays better, looks better, and sounds about the same. The only thing I miss is the drop tuner, but I can always install that later myself.

1 Like

Whoa! Holy epic translucent purple! Congrats.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful bass. Congrats!

2 Likes

That is awesome!
well done @akos
enjoy it.
My instructor is a lakland endorsed guy, he said its the only bass he needs.

2 Likes

They have a really good reputation and are cool and rare. Very nice looking basses.

3 Likes

It’s in the Skyline 44-64 Vintage P section:

The Skyline 44-64 Custom GZ Features an Ebony Fingerboard, Pearl Block markers with Abalone inlays, Black Anodized Aluminum Pick Guard, and Geezer Butler Signature EMG P&J pickups (passive).

4 Likes

Ah, okay. I’ll add the link in my earlier post. I don’t see the translucent purple choice, but obviously it is available!

1 Like

Hard to go wrong with the Geezer model. Nice

2 Likes

Oh my. That is fabulous !!! Enjoy.

2 Likes

So I want to revive this thread and narrow it back in to straight P basses only.
I have 2, and both are relatively specialized, the 61 CS and the Vintera with the Les Claypool pickups and gold Optima strings. Both are great, but are not ‘straight Ps’.

I would like to add a really kick ass straight P bass to my list that has some cool detailing (not a Squier, not a regular Fender, etc) and would really be interested in trying a company that I don’t have a bass from today. That said, I guess a Fender straight P (with cool detailing would work too). Happy to swap pickups, would want a passive system.

So…

1. Fender straight passive P
  2. Alternatives to Fender straight passive P
  • no PJs
  • no active

What do you all see out there that is just really cool and fits the bill?

California VS passive from Sandberg. Long wait for your custom order using the ‘Configurator’ or find used.
https://www.bassbuddha.com/product/sandberg-california-vs4-roquefort-hardcore-aged/

1 Like

This is one I’ve always liked, Schecter P4 Exotic

Swamp ash body, zebra wood top, roasted maple neck, truss wheel, string through body, checks a lot of boxes

This is an interesting one from Reverend

Three way switch for voicing - bright, normal, or deep tones

7 Likes

G&L LB100??

They also come in Blue-Tort-Rosewood or Burst-Tort-Rosewood

1 Like

I was going to suggest the Schecter P4 also but @Wombat-metal got there before me.

2 Likes

I really like the look / build quality of the Schecter. Made in Korea I think.