Alternatives for Fender P

Indonesia according to the site.
That is a fine looking bass!
But, it is active, so no go.

These are all really great, keep ‘em coming!

I really like the plain P4 too

Almost forgot, the Schecter Banshee

More traditional - alder body, rosewood fingerboard, truss wheel, string through, but a short scale. sounds great though

1 Like

Sorry you’re right. I was thinking of this guy. On my ‘If I see one for the right price list’.

@Al1885 you have a Steve Harris Fender right? Like it? I don’t have a white 4 and there are two used right now.

Doesn’t someone else have one too?

1 Like

Steve Harris are pretty awesome though mine was pretty much upgraded everything. The body is the key for this. Not on my the custom paint job gorgeous but it’s one of a very few fender model with maple body. Sure it’s about a pound to pound and a half heavier but the heft is what make it so unique.

2 Likes

Reading and listening more it’s more of a particular sound (as is) then a basic P. If I’m going to customize something I’d go cheaper and throw a Fralin or something in it. I’m thinking of moving my Fralin P out of the Fender HMT and replace it with a “better end” Fender P and use the Fralin on this “generic P”.

2 Likes

@John_E , the Steve Harris P (the current one, rather than the original sparkle blue one) is actually a more exact copy of Steve’s personal bass. It turned out that only some '70s Ps had a maple body, and his is one, hence the heft. Apparently, the Fender techs didn’t realise this so they went to get measurements off of it and they found this out prior to putting out this latest series. His personal one is the same one he’s had for near on 40 years, just refinished.

It’s in this interview:
He explains how the Sansamp SH1 came into being and gives the back story of the bass:

The “Jake” model from these Maruszczyk guys are worth checking out:

And they have a configurator!
Configure Jake: Public Peace

My Stream 204 has a maple body. I don’t know to what extent that colors the tone, but it sounds really nice.

MIJ:

Momose MPB:

Edwards E-Groover:

It’s too bad you ruled out active and P/J. @Barney discovered Shijie, a company in China making extremely high quality guitars and basses for very little money.

When I say “extremely high quality”, I mean that literally - No large US manufacturer makes products better than Shijie. None of them. Check out the teardown:

That’s the best wired instrument I have ever seen.

That bass above will be as high quality as a Fender custom shop bass, and is $629 :rofl:

1 Like

Dang @howard…I was hoping you would chime in on some Japan options.
Those are both AWESOME.

1 Like

Where can these be bought?

1 Like

Momose is here:

They have an English page:

https://momose-guitar.com/

That one is about $1600. Probably easiest to order from Ikebe:

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/c/c-/ba/ba01/ba010273/707777

who ships overseas.

They have E-Groovers in four colors as well:

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/p/search?keyword=E-Groover

About $900.

Here’s ESP’s Edwards site here:

1 Like

That surf green Edwards is da bomb!

1 Like

Super cool.

One thing to point out about Edwards and E-II is that unlike full ESP’s, it is not clear to me that they are 100% MIJ. They might be, I am not sure and info is murky. ESP may be doing a Dingwall here and having some done overseas, with final assembly here.

There is no doubt that they are top notch though, very nice instruments.

1 Like

Yeah that E Groover looks awesome.

4 Likes

It’s currently the lead candidate…

I was actually planning to run by ikebe today. If I have time I will look for it.

1 Like