Am I misunderstanding how my compressor is supposed to work?

It does have a blend, but I was unsure how it handles USB audio, because the manual only mentions aux and bluetooth in. But based on everyone’s comments I assume it handles the USB audio the same as it does aux/bluetooth.

Blend: A touch sensitive slider to set the blend between the main input (Intrument/Amp in) and the backing track (Bluetooth/Aux in) for the headphone out mix.

On the Scarlett I just press the “Direct Monitor” button and that’s it. (Always on for me.)

1 Like

Yeah some audio interfaces just have a button with a fixed blend level. A blend pot is better but a button will do the trick too.

1 Like

I assume you are referring to the more expensive of the below two, correct?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KBass--keeley-bassist-limiting-amplifier-bass-compressor-pedal
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KCompPlus--keeley-compressor-plus-4-knob-compressor-pedal

3 Likes

Unfortunately: YES :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Easy to find well working comp settings, this is a ‘bread&butter’ always-on setup. (the Tech21 is in AC/DC mode :wink: )

4 Likes

Josh also has the 3 knob version My First Pedalboard!. If you are struggling with the functionality of the Hyperluminal I would go for something easy. Having more knobs doesn’t always mean you get something better…

3 Likes

Not sure if the blend on the Elements works like a Direct Monitor blend. The Scarlett is a much better DAI so why would you use the Element over the Scarlett anyway? The main feature of the Element is a headphone amp and cabsim.

3 Likes

Because acting as a DAI is advertised as one of its features, and it would simplify my setup. I primarily want it for the cab sim, but if it can replace the Scarlett then all the better.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t see this thread. The mxr didn’t work for me, but I really like the darkglass.

3 Likes

BTW although expensive, the keeley is the biggest selling pedal on reverb. So everyone can’t be wrong, right?

*Edit hmm they also aren’t nearly as expensive as they used to be?

2 Likes

The DG Element is an amazing piece of gear imo, you won’t regret it.

2 Likes

I am going to give it a shot.
Maybe it even helps me understand the HyperLuminal more, can always sell one or the other.

Thanks @thomas !

3 Likes

Received a response from MXR:

It looks like the pedal is working normally. When you change the RATIO setting you’ll need to adjust the INPUT and output settings as well. Try turning the INPUT up when you switch to 20/1 and you should hear/see the compression difference.

So to answer my original question, looks like I indeed do not understand this pedal.

Anyways, I can’t even set the input level high enough to have any meaningful compression at 20:1 with plucking. I have to pluck abnormally hard for anything to happen.

I’m going to exchange it for something else, likely a Hyper Luminal, and hope for the best.

5 Likes

I don’t understand it either.
One last guess: is the input signal from the bass too low to get the MXR working properly? Did you try to duck chain a preamp prior to the comp?

3 Likes

It definitely is too low for its liking, but reading other comments and reviews online, that seems to be a common issue with the MXR87 (and passive basses presumably).

No. I’ve had a look at some boosters (for example the tc Spark Mini), but the combined cost of the MXR87 and the booster would be more than a Hyper Luminal, so I figured I’d just go for the Hyper Luminal and see if that works any better on its own.

Also, even if I could boost the level to make the MXR87 happy, I am still getting the opposite results of what I am expecting. This is my first compressor, so I don’t want to be a smartass and claim that MXR support are wrong, but I honestly do not comprehend how 4:1 can give me more compression than 20:1 in any scenario.

The Hyper Luminal is already on its way, hopefully I’m going to have more luck with that one.

5 Likes

That’s dopey to me.
A bass compressor should work with all, well, basses.
I

6 Likes

One quick thing to point out - the fact that its level was lower does not mean it was more compressed. The two are unrelated.

In fact, more compression usually equates to more saturation and apparent volume, even if the levels are the same. Compression reduces the dynamic range, not the level. Compressors and limiters are actually used to raise the more quiet portions of the signal as much as they are to limit peaks, and in fact are also quite often used to increase apparent loudness for the same actual levels. tl;dr, Compression generally makes things louder, not quieter, for a given output level.

The reason I thought it looked backwards was because the 20:1 portion also appeared to have more dynamic range, in the waveform you posted.

4 Likes

If that doesn’t work out I’ve got an old compressor you can have. Postage’s gonna be a bitch though!

For those interested, this works slightly differently from a normal bass compressor. That works by limiting the dynamic range of the signal to even out your playing.
This thing is so loud I place it next to my amp and it’s very hard to pick out my crappy playing at all. Very good for the old self confidence, maybe not too good for intimate coffee shop gigs.

8 Likes

Now there is a compressor i understand how to operate!

3 Likes

What’s the power draw on that one? Does it work with a 9V battery?

3 Likes