Am I Shopping for a Small Solid State Amp??

I have a Feder tube amp. It is pretty freakin’ loud. I joined up with a bunch of guys and the drummer played an electric kit, so he could keep it down! But, my amp would have been the loudest thing in the room.
I borrowed a buddies solid state Marshall. Was perfect. The band split, but my buddy didn’t need the amp back. Good for me, I could practice and be in the same room as the amp. Been almost 2yrs.
Now, he has asked for it back for a project he’s starting.
So, what do I want?
I’d like it to be quite enough I can turn it down and it’s still clear.
I’d like to it to be powerful enough to take to a practice.
I’d like it to have a decent clean tone.
Take pedals…

Not overly interested (hung up) on a name. Used is OK. Not looking to bust the bank. $200-500 ish.

Suggestions?

3 Likes

Do you play guitar or bass? Marshall amps are usually used for guitars. Think you have enough good options with that budget.

2 Likes

How many Watts was the Marshall amp? If you liked that, you should probably be looking for something in the same range.

3 Likes

An alternative to a new amp could be an attenuator pedal like this one.

3 Likes

The Fender Rumble line is very popular among bassists. I started with a 40 watt, then went to 100 watt, and now I have 500 watt amp head with 115 cab. The rumbles sound great for bass, even when dialed down.
https://www.sweetwater.com/fender-rumble/series

4 Likes

I just bought a bass and know next to nothing about it. I already had the Spark by
Positive Grid 40watt. Works for electric guitar, acoustic and bass. Just what I have for now.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Yeah the spark 40 is a good choice.

2 Likes

Playing with Bias Amp and Bias FX 2 can make for a lot of fun if you can load that onto the Spark (I’m not sure tbh).

1 Like