Am I the only one?

I see more variety of basses in metal than other genres in general.

5 Likes

Stop fighting it @JustTim! Get your blues PBass and call it a day! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There is that.

3 Likes

So, heh, this was not in any way a quest for justification to purchase a new bass. Ideally, I was looking for someone to say, “yeah, dude, a modern headless would be wack at a blues jam, totally go with the B50 even though it’s a 5-string.”

Because I’m feeling a bit odd wanting to play my B50 more than my Osiris, when my Osiris is a more expensive instrument and is, objectively, a better bass.

And I find myself second-guessing every decision I make regarding bass. Which is not something I experience in any other endeavor in my life. Which leads to me making dumb posts as a thinly veiled attempt to conceal some form of validation.

Well. Now you all know way more about me than you’d hoped, I bet. LOL.

8 Likes

Just play, man. Nothing regarding bass is more important.

7 Likes

Understandable mistake @MikeC, but it was not the Roseanna Roseannadanna character by Gildna Radner whose catch phrase was “Never mind,” but her other character, Emily LItella:

I thought it was Roseanna Roseannadanna, too!
RIP Gilda and hubby Gene

2 Likes

:100:

You are absolutely right! I stand corrected.

1 Like

No its cool, its a new journey. Why not get other opinions? I find myself contemplating where i fit in this bass universe as well. Follow this inspiration and study the bassists and songs in the genre. Find a bass you love and play the shit out of it :metal:

3 Likes

Why not? I’m buying a bass that best for each song I know how to play a true single purpose bass, which reminds me to either sell half of what I have or it’s time to GAS, lol.

2 Likes

Why on earth wouldn’t it work? You see 5 strings in country bands these days, and blues is a state of mind as much as anything. Want to sound blues like? Move up or down a half step on the fretboard.

2 Likes

I tend to believe that 5 string are more for gigging bassists where they need to cover more genres and don’t want to lug around more basses to the gig, as it can be a logical nightmare.

2 Likes

I agree. It sure is possible to play blues on a 5-string, but it’s too much gun.

A Fender Precision was the only game in town back in the day, but it contains all the strings and tone you’ll ever need for blues. Just saying

I agree, but if a 5 string is what he’s got, use it by all means.

2 Likes

Absolutely! But if he’s looking to play blues that no crowd can deny, there is a Holy Grail bass.

If that’s not a factor, smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em and go with what you got. For sure.

1 Like

And you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get one. My Squier P cost me $260 brand new on a GC daily deal with a coupon.

1 Like

True that. @JustTim needs to know that high cost is not a barrier to P bass entry. Different default neck profile? Most probably. But the tone and authenticity is worth it.

Unless you’re talking about the specific physical form of the Fender Precision Bass and its clones, I think the Osiris qualifies as a P bass (well, technically, a P/J… the neck pickup is a split-coil, and the bridge pickup is a single-coil).

So, the intent of this whole thread was for me to justify one of my basses over the other to fit better at a blues/blues-rock jam based on the bass’s stylings: the more modern, headless Osiris, or the more classic, “headed” B50. It looks like there are more “it doesn’t matter, just play whatever works” style responses than anything, which makes me think I’m greatly overthinking the issue.

…which isn’t out of character for me. :smiley:

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

5 Likes

I guess what is being conveyed is that for you to play at home it does not matter, play the one you feel like playing. But if you show up to a blues band audition or a blues gig with either you might be shown the door.

Good luck with your blues journey.

1 Like

Man I’m confused in this thread…
Why can’t one play with a 5 string the same genres as with a 4 string? Isn’t the 5th just a low B? The other 4 strings are the same :man_shrugging:
Aside from the looks, most basses are not that different to be genre specific
If your question @JustTim was regarding the looks, probably in a blues setting nobody will care about the looks of your bass, unless it’s something very unique or cartoonish, i.g. Gene Simmons axe or Bootsy’s star

2 Likes

Anybody can play blues on a non-4-string, but it’s neither traditional to the style nor particularly value-added. Also, when gigging, having extra weight on the shoulder for little to no return doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Bottom line, everybody is free to play any instrument config he/she wants. No law against it. But blues bassists traditionally play a P bass, specifically, Fenders. The tone, the look, the feel and the overall blues vibe lives in a P bass.

2 Likes