Amp acquisition conundrum

So I’m a little bit torn on what to do about an amp. Right now I’m just plugging into my interface and using my monitor headphones. If I just want to noodle I fire up Main Stage, where I have a preset amp sim. I use this to play along with the B2B lessons, and it works great. However, I do want to play along with my son on his guitar, so I need at least a practice amp. But I also want to eventually play out again, at which time a Fender Rumble 40 (by far the leading candidate right now) would probably not cut the mustard, unless I relied solely on the XLR out.

So my conundrum is: If I’m gonna be needing to shell out a pile of money later for a gig-able rig (had lots of recommendations for Rumble 200/500) should I just be more patient and get a Rumble 100 or maybe even 200 for my “practice” amp? A good friend of mine plays with JC Smith in the Bay Area, and he’s running like 900 watts or some such into a 4x10 and a 1x15. Odds are I probably wouldn’t be playing gigs on that scale. Also I worry that a gig-able rig would not be smiled upon by my wife for playing at home when she’s around.

Anyway. I’m legitimately torn between wanting something the size of a Rumble 40, which I can get like next month, and whether I should be spending money on 2 separate rigs, when it’s still a hypothetical that I’d be able to find some folks looking for a bassist where time and tastes align, etc. Halp!

2 Likes

First thing first, and later is for later.

Once you have the first taste with amp your preference may change.

2 Likes

I don’t know what prices are like in your neighborhood but I might suggest buying something like a used Rumble 40 for now and when it comes time for needing a bigger rig shop for and buy that based on the type of gigs you plan to play and the size of the venues you’ll be playing.

A couple year ago I picked up a Rumble 40 for under $150 and sold it later for $180. I would think you could find a smaller 50-75w used on CL or FBMP or even a store like Music Go Round or Guitar Center used. That’s the approach I’d use unless you want to spend serious money on something like I have.

The Genzler MG350 combo is a 175w 1x10 rig that weighs just 25lbs. By adding a second cab and running at 4ohm or even 2.67 ohms it puts out 350w which with a second cab of some kind is more than enough to handle any gig I would ever play. But you’re talking $1300 list price for a pro rig like this that can be as versatile as it is and as lightweight as it is.

2 Likes

This is a good thought. I might actually go as small/inexpensive as the Rumble 25. Gonna mosey over to guitar center and see how I feel about what kind of air it can move with a 8" speaker. Couldn’t gig with a Rumble 40, so if the 8" isn’t complete garbage, I might go with ultra small and inexpensive now and deal with gig-able later.

Personally, if I were shopping for a combo amp I wouldn’t consider anything lower than a 10" speaker for bass.

2 Likes

Ended up trading in a guitar I almost never play (Martin LXM) and came home with a Rumble 40 and a 15’ cable for $70.

1 Like

So first impressions: I’m kinda glad I didn’t get the 25. The 40 is way too loud–I’ll never be able to use it anything like wide open here in my office without headphones, but as Josh says, it’s the moving air that makes the difference. The 25 would be plenty loud for a small home studio or office, but the 8" speaker wouldn’t feel the same. Thanks for all your input, y’all.

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting aside for you.

Before Jeff Genzler began producing his current line of amps and speakers his company was known as Genz-Benz where he produced many cutting edge amps and speaker cabs that are still out there and very popular.

FMIC (Fender) bought his company and essentially put it out of business as it has with many other over the years. Their objective was to gain some of it’s technology which rumor has it worked it’s way into Fender’s bass amps.

The Rumble Series has been around for a very long time and most of the early models were not very good. That’s no longer true and one reason why is your Rumble 40 may have some of the same technology as my Genzler MG350.

The way Fender approaches their tone stack is quite different and yet some of what Genzler added to their amps back in the day has found it’s way into the Fender bass amps. Glad you found a solution. That 40 is a good little amp.

2 Likes

This is true, I’m a big fan of Genzler I can hear and feel some of the Genz feel on the Rumble unlike any other amp at the price point. I can’t wait for the day my 3 stacked cabs are not enough and I need to move up to the 3 12 array, lol.

1 Like