Amp advice

So much to learn lol. So you’re pretty much saying get a head and find a tone that I like and use it with my practice amp.

When the time comes were I need something bigger like a 410 or 412 I’ll have everything ready to go? My brain is a bit fried from Billy Jean so I might be misunderstanding.

I guess I might have to hold out on starting a pedal board for a bit.

3 Likes

Oh man. I didn’t realize you were fighting with Billie Jean. Good luck. It takes time but you’ll get it.

More than anything, I suggest making a trip to a store that has multiple different amps you can try. When I was looking for an amp I went around the stack of amps and tried each one. You’ll be surprised how quickly you go, not that one, or that one, maybe this one.

Put off the decision for as long as you can. That way you’ll have a chance to try as much stuff as possible. The more you try, the more you’ll start to gravitate towards one out of the bunch. There’s plenty of time to work all this out.

5 Likes

I’m in no rush, mostly planning for the future.

Just started Billie Jean, I can do it slow but she’s definitely not my lover lol. Thanks for the advice

3 Likes

@eric.kiser provided great insights. In my opinion, a good amplifier should have more than just basic features. It should include:

• An effects loop
  • An auxiliary input for drums or backing tracks
  • A headphone output for practicing quietly
  • A direct output (DI out)
  • Preferable a drive setting

The Fender Rumble 100 combo amp also meets all these criteria.

4 Likes

I was eyeing up an ampeg 112 but might check out the venture and Mesa Boogie. This guy seems kinda interesting

4 Likes

For sure, it’s a neat little amp and it ticks most boxes! For drive you can easily use an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of your amp.

If you are planning to join a band in the future I would certainly check out the Venture or Mesa amps. You probably want something with 500W or higher. This one is about 75-100W and maybe better suited for practice.

3 Likes

If you’re looking to join a band where you rehearse at moderate to loud levels and maybe play gigs at clubs / bars / smaller venues, a combo amp will be much more convenient and will easily handle the volume requirements.

I had a Fender Rumble 500.
I sold it for an Ampeg SVT head and single 15" speaker rig.
I regret it every time I have to take the extra trip(s) to the car to load in and out.

There is plenty of expansion capability with an amp/speaker rig, but it is the least convenient way to go. There may be some great models that are easy to move and carry, that would help.

Whatever you get - make sure it’s at least 200 - 350 watts minimum.

My factors in actually getting things were always - what could I afford, and what could I play on to try out.
Getting a chance to play it and mess with it is massively important.

4 Likes

This other thread is a bit similar.

4 Likes

This one has caught my eye. Seems to have what I’m looking for. If I started doing gigs I can’t see me needing much more. Plus the price is where I’m comfortable with.

6 Likes

Solid choice :ok_hand:

6 Likes

If it sounds good and it’s affordable, that seems like a great way to go!

3 Likes

I have the Fender Rumble in a 2x10 and it’s stupid loud so if you can afford it then the Ampeg is a good choice.

3 Likes

I’m thinking a 210 would be best. This weekend I’m going to try them both out and see which one I like better. Any other 210s combos I should check out?

1 Like

I don’t know about the Ampeg but the Rumble 2x10 has a cooling fan. At low volumes you can just hear it. The Rumble 100 doesn’t have a fan so that’s primarily what I use at home.

Just something to be aware of for a practice amp.

2 Likes

I need advice on a travel amp. One that I can walk places and wont feel it in the wallet if i drop it. Similar to the BlackStar mini that Josh reviewed.

1 Like

Something like this?

2 Likes

Haha Yea Thanks

1 Like

just to add more data, comparision of speaker sizes:

5 Likes

Nice video, and a good way to confirm my biases there :slight_smile:

I definitely prefer the 10s and 12s over 15s. If it were a single speaker I would want a 12 but would probably prefer a 2x10 or 4x10 over a single 12.

2 Likes

That is a really good video for hearing the difference.

1 Like