Amp keeps cutting out

Hi All
I have a Laney Richter R2 bass amp. It only cost £40 but it has an annoying habit of just cutting out whilst I am playing.
Sometimes it cuts out for a few seconds and other times I have to turn it off and on again.
Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it.
Getting it fixed will probably cost more than the amp is worth
Paul

1 Like

It could be many things, but, this was happening on my amp not long ago, and, I took the cover off the back where the speaker was mounted. All it was, was a bad connection on one of the speaker wires, (from the wire to the speaker), so it was a cheap and easy fix. It was a clip on type connection, and there was another nub besides the loose one, so I didn’t even have to bust out the solder.

But, if it’s the internal workings and electronics of the amp… Well, as for me, I won’t take an amp apart, I’m too scared of the capacitors inside that may be holding a charge :zap: , so best leave that to the techs. May not be worth it on a cheap amp though. Bottom line, check easy connections, and clean out the input jack with some electronics cleaner too.

3 Likes

Good suggestions, @Vik . . . :+1:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out the lead either

2 Likes

Thanks guys
The evidence is pointing towards the input jack so that is where I will start my investigation

1 Like

Be sure and let us know what you find.

2 Likes