Amp vs. Phones for Lessons

Welcome, @marik0. Glad you’re with us. Now pop over to the Introduce Yourself thread, and tell us about yourself. The B2B group is waiting to welcome you to the family. :grinning:

2 Likes

Did you turn the gain and volume both up in your amp sim, as well as the main unit volume? I missed this at first.

3 Likes

I don’t have any issue with low volume using headphones with the B1four. On the contrary, I find some of the presets really loud. In my clean setup I usually keep the volume at around 50%.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, how strong is the “rumble” and battery life? Thanks

2 Likes

Mainly headphones but can’t beat through the amp. The tone is completely different.

1 Like

Bass - Zoom - Headphone preamp - headphones … my first/last amp is sitting in the basement.

2 Likes

The rumble on full force feedback is quite shaky :laughing:

I had the rumble setting on 4/10. Battery life is between 3 - 5 hours depending on how much thumb you want. I would recommend getting the G2 since it solved all the quarks from G1 (not that it was anything bothersome, but clipping on the strap was a PITA). What I especially liked is that it could distinct the note you were playing and accord on that. So the open G string gives a small rumble while the open E string is full force feedback.

2 Likes

Are you using some high impedance studio headphones?
Have you tried different headphones?

2 Likes

D’oh! I missed that on the amp sim, too, since I was using the B1 Four with my actual amp.

Unit volume is cranked to 100. I have now cranked the amp sim volume, too, and headphones volume is better. Thanks, John.

1 Like

Thanks, Jacq. I’m using my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitor phones with my B1 Four. They’ve been my go-to for monitoring dialog for on-location shoots and for video editing.

At John’s suggestion, I have cranked the volume on my amp sim and the overall phones volume is better.

Wow! I didn’t expect so much feedback! Thanks!!!

Yep, that does give me pause.

I do!

I just seem to notice the snare more. Ken vs. Josh:

Ken - Rumble 40 (and yes the tone is different on phones)

Josh (B2B) - Playing on a PC hooked up to a Technics SA-120 Reciever (35 watts stero) with a Pair of Polk TSi100 bookshelf speakers. The speakers go down to 61 hz…and that may be why I don’t hear the kick drum that well.

1 Like

I’ve got the Rumble 100 and love using the headphones/aux input for lessons and practice and then playing through the speaker for wall-rattling fun.

I made sure to get super long aux and headphone cables, and have been using Rode NTH100 headphones for everything.

5 Likes

Welcome, @sodarntom. Glad you’re here.

If you head over to the Introduce Yourself thread, a whole lot of B2B folks are waiting to welcome you to the group.

2 Likes

I used to have a low volume problem too but when I hooked it up with my superego+ pedal, the volume increased.

2 Likes

Audio interface, Amplitube and headphones.

3 Likes

For me, it depends on where I am. At work, I use an amp because I can play music through it as well as my bass (usually the Mikro) through the DAI. At home, I use the studio monitors or the amp unless it’s late at night when my wife is sleeping and then I use my Waza Air Bass and headphones, and it doesn’t matter if it’s in my attic studio or down in the basement…1 is over our room and the other is under it.

1 Like

Yes and yes. I’m using Sennheiser HD280 headphones that seem fine enough. If I were buying, I’d want to go listen to the Beyer DT990 and AKG240 also.

I don’t have any gear with an aux in for the lessons or backing tracks, so I have a little Mackie 402 mixer at my practice station. Cab sim by Mooer Radar.

3 Likes

I read through the thread, but the thing I was wondering about was the pros and cons of practice with either when it comes to developing good technique. Headphones seem to be less forgiving of finger/string noise to me. But is that true or important? Does amp playing beat all because it’s nearest to the live situation?

I think the most important thing is that you can hear yourself at an adequate and appropriate volume so you are not playing too hard or too soft.

Excessive string noise goes away with time.
Some string noise is normal, it cannot ever go away completely.

3 Likes

I’m plugged into my amp with the bass, listening to Josh with earbuds from the computer with headphones over the earbuds coming out of the amp so that I don’t bother my wife while she’s working.