Amp vs. Phones for Lessons

If I could do a poll, I’d like to know how people practice. Earphones or Amp? I use the amp, and B2B comes over via Monitor Speakers (actually a pair of Polk Bookshelf Speakers). I wonder if I am handicapping my ability to hear the drummer (the Kick Drum).

2 Likes

Amp generally.
Headphones when the environment necessitates it.
Just be careful with headphones and volume, or hearing the kick drum will be the least of your worries. :upside_down_face:

If your feeling the groove your already hearing the kick drum.

4 Likes

I’ve done both, but I’m gravitating to headphones.

I can hear the backing tracks just fine. For practicing/playing with tunes, this system is working out fine.

3 Likes

I’ve always done headphones plugged into my amp because I live in a duplex and like my neighbor. I use semi-open ones (AKG K240).

4 Likes

Almost always amp/cab, and I listen to B2B over monitor speakers on computer like you do. I have a decent pair of headphones, but I only tend to use these with an audio interface into my computer when I am recording or being considerate of the family. Haven’t had an issue hearing the kickdrum, I’ve been pretty happy with my Presonus monitors.

3 Likes

Amp whenever I can. Headphones are fine but there’s 2 little problems

First is obvious, the tone on the headphones are usually doesn’t match the live sound if you are doing live often you need to train your ear for it. Headphones are too controlled and perfect most time.

Second, playing through an amp you get the sound wave running through your body, it’s quite important that you are used to this sensation worst case you don’t flinch going live and keep backing off, best you use it to bring out your best moment.

2 Likes

@Al1885, I get that.

Personally, I play for my own enjoyment, so headphones work fine for me. If not possible, I play through a low-volume amp as all I want to do is hear myself.

2 Likes

Studio Monitors, both headphone and speaker.

2 Likes

I’ve done headphone from an amp, too, but the volume’s too low. Sucks.

1 Like

My amp sits in a corner collecting dust. I run everything through my audio interface into studio monitors w/subwoofer. If it’s late or my wife is in the next room watching TV I plug headphones into the audio interface.

6 Likes

+1. Haven’t even owned an amp in years.

3 Likes

No amp. I’m getting there. It all depends on why you play.

2 Likes

I always wanted one of this. Walking around with the IEM and this backbeat pack going wireless and still get killer vibes.

1 Like

I had one. It was never used and sold it for a good price :laughing:

It’s probably a good buy if you play a lot standing. You have to attach the device to your strap to feel the rumble.

Since I can’t play loud at home and I still want the rumble sensation I thought this was the perfect solution. Lot’s of bass players talk highly about this product, but it just wasn’t working out for me.

1 Like

Living in a condo and being able to practice almost exclusively in the evenings/nights there is no other choice but earphones.
When i was young(er) I played acoustic piano at my parents’ and even if i obviously respected the allowed playing times… well some of the neighbours weren’t enthusiast of hearing my playing (even when it was fine… but figure repeating a couple of difficult bars by Beethoven or Chopin, wonderful music in itself, hundreds of times would make anyone mad, myself included :wink: )

For my normal everyday practice I have my backing tracks/lesson mp3’s loaded into my ancient Boss JS-8 which I plug into my low power practice amp. I do this for both guitar and bass. I rarely use headphones now, I used to use them all the time when I lived in an apartment a few years ago.

I have just bought an amp/cab sim package plus I have a Boss IR-200 pedal which I can use with my laptop and studio monitors. I need to start using these more!

1 Like

I don’t have any amp as:

• I can’t justify its purchase just for home practice
  • Wouldn’t be able to play it loud (neighbours/family)

My current setup:

• Fender Mustang Micro - it plugs into guitar/bass + it gets a backing track via Bluetooth
  • In Ear Monitors ( KZ ZS10 Pro ) - plugged into Fender Mustang Micro

It is not ideal and I am on a constant lookout for Mustang Micro replacement as it does not offer much for bass. I tried the aforementioned Boss IR-200 and it didn’t work out for me. Boss Pocket GT is a good candidate (has Bluetooth, is battery powered, has effects for bass and guitar).

I am slowly getting to the point where I want to dab into recording/mixing.
So my next purchase will be DAI + decent over ear studio headphones + (maybe) studio monitors.

I can’t see any amp showing in my setup anytime soon. Maybe some FRFR at some point.

2 Likes

i do a rumble 40 amp, with B2B playing on DVD on my TV.

I don’t have a decent Bass amp and I usually play through studio headphones plugged into a zoom B1four or similar. Mostly because I live in an apartment building and I wouldn’t be able to enjoy playing through the amp without my neighbors hating me or complain. However, I do own a bass uke and play acoustically quite often. It’s not the same, but I enjoy it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve tried using headphones with my Zoom B1 Four, but the volume is too low. Very unsatisfactory.

Is it possible to get more volume from one of these?