Ampeg PN115HLF anybody know this cab?

I have an old sunn 50w tube amp but It can’t handle my 5th string. I know I like the SVT410HLF cab very much. Its heavy. Its a power-house. this pro neo 575w 15 inch seems to be a very low frequency monster as well. I literally can’t find anything on it… I would be using it stand-alone.

the specs on this cab look very promising and it seems to be able to handle a lot of juice… anybody actually ever get a chance to rock one of these?

3 Likes

Not I sir, sorry! I do have one of the old portabass cabs… early early ampeg ultra light stuff.
It’s been great… but it’s a 15 year old 2x10 cab… so I’m sure not the same at all.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard one either, but looks hefty! I think Ampeg is making some kinda mediocre stuff priced towards beginners these days, but their legit/pro gear has always been good in my experience.

2 Likes

agree Josh. Ampeg is a brand that defined the sound of rock with the SVT series. and before that they released the B15 in all its variations, those amps are outstanding.

the low-priced Ampeg are not good amps (mine is a mid-priced one and it’s not so good really … not bad but … meh …) but they know how to make good stuff, if you can afford them.

Ampeg is exactly the same thing as Marshall for guitar amps. the high end stuff is incredible, the low end stuff is crappy as f*ck.

3 Likes

@Pbassnewb Welcome to the BassBuzz forum.

It’s too bad nobody could give you a good answer. We’re still not a really big forum… Yet. I keep up with the boards every day and if anyone has this equipment, I don’t remember anyone mentioning it. Good luck.

2 Likes

I appreciate the message… I feel like many bass players know that bass is the secret sauce so they don’t always come out to share the secrets. I have been really considering this mathematically and it really comes down to excursion. If the single 15 moves “twice” as far as one of those 10" drivers then the 15" would move more air than four 10"s actually. On pure surface area, four 10"s actually have more surface area but not by a drastic amount-- the amount of air moved would be more for a single 15" if it moves “twice” as far excursion. I like a scooped sound anyways so I may still be happy with the np115hlf even if it is not as loud. Anyways it is not a “cheap” cabinet. It is physically nearly as big as a 410 and costs more than a classic SVT410HLF so I’m not sure what the “low end” comment was trying to get at.

2 Likes

I think that was more of a general comment about the industry than being specific to the equipment you were talking about.

What your saying about the speaker difference sounds good in theory. I’m always hesitant about theory, though. I have come across a number of things that sounded awesome in my theoretical world (stuff others swear by) that didn’t work for me once I got my hands and ears in a place to test it out. All of that is just to say, if you can get a chance to test it out before you buy, that is always the best way to go.

Hey @TK42DAN, I saw that you have done some speaker work. If you have time, can you weigh in on this?

1 Like

Hey @eric.kiser! There was a little misunderstanding from my introductory post. I own and run a Speakers Bureau, as in I help book events for speakers or presenters. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, I don’t have anything helpful to offer on this topic. I’m currently at the “use something that makes noise without waking up the family” stage.

2 Likes

Ha Ha, gotcha! My bad Dan. I guess I saw speaker and just made some assumptions.

2 Likes