An Adventure

Hello All,

Been surfing the Craigslist avenue for musicians in my area. Came across an ad for a drummer looking for bandmates. I sent off a message and he turned out to be a royal prick in a half. Rather deflating to tell you the truth and pleased we never met in person.

So about three months goes by and I threw my fly back in the pond. Discovered a guitar player looking for “friends” to jam with. He claimed to have about 25 years of song writing under his belt. Fired off an email his way explaining that I am a newbie and if he is willing to meet me in my model of world, let’s jam.

We met yesterday and covered all the elementary questions as I carried in my gear. Once I was powered up and plugged in, he stopped me in my tracks with," Play Something For Me."

I literally had no idea what the hell to do. He giggled and gathered his stuff together and I began noodling around with a simple 1 3 & 4 & beat with a root note of C on the A String while tickling the notes G and F on the D String. No clue as I went with that pattern.

He breaks out his song book and informs me that I was playing the exact sound that he is looking for. Couldn’t Believe It!!

His tunes are short and simple and basically rock the G to the D to the A and a mix between those three notes. Each song was about 2 -3 min long and we worked through the repeats and what nots. All of a sudden, and why I am sharing this, the @JoshFossgreen Funk, Blues, Rock box hit me. As I took a breath, I began to play the Root, Octave, and 5th within the 4 beats.

We actually played through his Thanksgiving song and ALMOST sounded pretty good. I confessed that I was early a few times because of my overall enthusiasm. But the guy was totally cool with it. He really made it easy for me when we played an old drinking tune of his. I was to play the G on the E string with quarter notes. The A and D were also quarter notes. Over the chorus, he asked me to play that BLUES BOX on the C of the A String. The fact that I knew what he was talking about was totally righteous. The fact I pulled it off blew my tiny little mind. And the fact that I played a real song floored me. Insert Fist Bump

The point of this whole story is that I never could have pulled this off without BASS BUZZ 101. My intention here is to inspire all of you as well. Make this the calendar year that you break out of your comfort zone. If you do, I promise that you will smile from ear to ear.

Thanx For Your Time & Play On,
Cheers

P.S. We are meeting again next Thursday. As we departed, he casually shares with me that he wants to practice three of his songs and then sign up for an open mic night. Me??? Open Mic?!?!?! Busting Out Of My Comfort Zone?!?!?! Now That Is Living - Yahooo000

52 Likes

That’s so awesome Travis! Feels good to see all my bass lesson tomfoolery actually helping you play real music with real people. :blush:

16 Likes

Awesome! So stoked for you. Can’t wait to hear about your further adventures!

8 Likes

That is so cool!

6 Likes

Dude! That is Awesome!
:sunglasses: :+1:
Please keep us updated on how things progress. I love reading stories like this.

5 Likes

That’s good stuff! It looks good on you, my friend.

3 Likes

Awesome :+1:

4 Likes

You rule, dude. Thanks for the post.

4 Likes

Welcome @jrmorganwyo ! Really glad you are here!

4 Likes

That is so awesome! Good for you! Nice to hear stories this.

4 Likes

Thanx Brother Mike - Will Happily Update The Progress And Future Plans

Cheers

4 Likes

Yo @Antonio , Totally Agree

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanx Brother @eric.kiser ,

Definitely a feel good story and looking forward to updating you all

Cheers

3 Likes

@autumnsdad1990 ,

Dig The Name There 1990 - Gr8 Stuff For Sure

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanx @Gloucestre

Cheers

4 Likes

@jrmorganwyo ,

Welcome To The Tribe!! Be Well

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanx @Glenn ,

I appreciate the positive vibes

Cheers

2 Likes

Yes. I like it. I still think It’s really cool to be her dad even after 32 years.

2 Likes

Indeed a great story/adventure! I am still working my way slowly (but surely) through this course. I absolutely love Josh’s teaching style, and have such satisfaction to finally being able to kinda, sorta, be able to play some stuff and begin to gain an understanding of it all.

I eagerly look forward to the day that I might be able to have a musical experience like yours - enjoy the heck out of it!

Cheers, Kev

3 Likes

Congratulations on discovering your confidence and capabilities! What a cool adventure!

4 Likes