An Adventure

Now that’s really hard to say with the information provided. I would probably go with the Blues Box (BACD for example). It should fit in fine. Try different variations on those notes and don’t forget that you can play around with the octaves as well :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Counter question: what do you play over the other chords?? If you mainly stick to root notes, then do the same for the D7. Just ignore the “7” for now! If you want to “spice up” things, I’d say stick with the 3rd, 5th and octave for now :smile:

Also: I don’t think you have any business up there :joy: Stay within the five first frets and you will be just fine!

4 Likes

@Krescht ,

Yes, fantastic video and reference for sure. Those box patterns and the 5th / Octave were my go to notes. I was just confused by the Diminished aspect.

A friend of mine sent me a righteous chart and separate exercise using all these same notes. Bouncing between the perfect 7th and diminished 7th worked in my favor become I am sloppy as all get out. Not necessarily sloppy but I miss fret every now and again.

But thanx for the Blues Box Link for sure ,
Cheers

2 Likes

@joergkutter ,

Yes, played mostly triads over the chords. We played around with a country style were I only played the root and 5th. The 5th was either below the root on the next string or two frets up and one string higher. I am speaking of pitch rather than location on the fretboard.

I borrowed those 5th notes from a Jazz lesson on YT. The actual tutorial was walking but those 5th notes made sense to me.

As for the 12th fret, I like noodling around in that area. We played well together and I camped out within the first 5 to 7 frets. But over the chorus called for the higher pitch. The G on the G String sounded well and married his voice.

Stay Spicy My Friend,
Cheers

4 Likes

I’ve played in a few bands as a drummer and finding good people to play is very difficult. I’m really happy you found someone that is chill. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope to do some jamming in due course. For now, back to learning the fretboard!

3 Likes

Hello @Ferd ,

I am very thankful for sure. On the hunt for a super chill drummer and looking forward to the trio factor.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this feed and for dropping a positive comment. If you have any fretboard questions, fire away.

Until the next installment,
Cheers

1 Like

Sounds like my current dilemma finding a bluegrass group to jam with. I find that bluegrass jams are not very friendly to newcomers. No lead sheets allowed, no electric instruments, no drums, and no structure to sessions, and the hard part is that most true bluegrass songs are unfamiliar to me. I don’t need help playing my instrument but knowing the chord progression to an unfamiliar song would sure help. Sometimes they will call out chord changes, if not I just watch another guitar player’s chord changes and follow suit. :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the way with a lot of jam sessions.
I would suggest a possible re-interpretation for how this works though.

Jam sessions are places where it assumed that you’re showing up to play, not to learn. If you arrive at a bluegrass or jazz jam session, the people in the jam are going to assume that you:
a.) know how to play some of the common songs in the popular music of the genre
b.) know how to play your instrument and do what your instrument does for the song

Instructional jams are different, and they’re more like group lessons or classes.

If there is an active jam session and you want to start playing at it regularly, here are my tips:
1.) Go to listen first. Take note of how it runs and operates, and what songs they call and play.
2.) Learn a couple songs that you know the jam plays and learn them well!
3.) Meet people at the jam so that you’re not a complete stranger when you come in to play.
4.) Show up to play.

It helps so much to come in a bit familiar with the group and the songs and the people.

6 Likes

@Celticstar ,

I am so thankful that I haven’t been caught up in that drama. Here in Colorado, my only experience, everyone is beyond chill during bluegrass jams. Such As, we have a festival here Palisade Roots and the campground area is full of small groups and large groups and beginner groups.

Everyone is inviting and casual and supportive. Mistakes will happen and lets all that those mistakes in stride. Or at least , Lets Be The Better Person

Stay Strong,
Cheers

3 Likes

This is the main issue. They don’t give any hints as to what songs they usually play or where I could obtain a lead sheet for the songs and if I can’t find them on the internet what then? The maddening thing is some of them have PDF files of the songs they play but so far no one is willing to share them. Go figure. Right now I just follow another guitar players chord changes and don’t take any breaks/lead - which they do not like either - but hey, I am there to play, not impress them.

This is not an issue for me.

Thanks for the advice.

I think that is because it was an instructional type jam as @Gio pointed out.

I live in the country and have not seen any instructional jams to date in my area.

Damn.
Very frustrating, and definitely doesn’t have a feeling of invitation about it.
I know a brilliant book for old American fiddle tunes - many of which end up in the bluegrass repetoire… but not all.
The Fiddler’s Fakebook
Might be worth a look?:

(I really don’t like amazon, but I’m sure it’s findable there as well)

Best of luck.
Hopefully you’ll catch one of them on a more friendly day and they’ll let you know a few titles to check out.

2 Likes

Thank you for the resource. It all helps. :+1:

1 Like

Glad you understand.

Today I attended an all genre 2 hour jam session and I could not be happier.
The people were accepting and very friendly.

I am not a quitter by any long shot of the imagination and, just wanted to point out that, just like practicing the bass, or any instrument really, if you want something bad enough and persist it will happen sooner or later, usually later. This happened for me today :+1: :+1:

Morale of the story: DON’T EVER GIVE UP!!!

4 Likes

CAPO Update:

We got together yesterday and couldn’t be happier. Tooting my own horn here for a second, I practiced the four songs on my own. Was finally able to keep the tempo during our session. He knew and could hear the difference in my fingering and really appreciated the triad sound that I was interjecting here and there. Way Cool

My buddy wrote three new songs that were inspired by his recent road trip. The first tune was a hoot and very elementary for sure. Basically a 1 , 4 , 5 progression. I have also noticed that his songs linger around the G’s D’s C’s And A’s. I am not talking Sh*t by any means, just sharing my observations here.

The last song he broke out, he was on a CAPO 4 or 5 but I don’t recall off the top of my noodle at the moment. He explained that I was simply moving the 4 or 5 frets from the G that I was reading on his sheet. The really cool part was that I completely understood the pattern and immediately could play. I was able to work out the notes fairly quickly but it was the pattern that jumped out at me. This allowed me to flirt with a Major, Minor, Major , And Major triads throughout the song. Even tickled an octave a few times there.

The first time through that song, camped out on chugging the 4 beat root notes. The second time through is when I noodled around with those triads I mentioned above. My buddy was way stoked and and goes on the explain to me that he really wasn’t sure about my skills the first time we “played” together. He is very pleased with me and clearly points out that he knew that I have been practicing during the first song we played yesterday. Again, not big headed here BUT it feels so good to receive accolades and simple acknowledgments.

Now I still don’t label myself as a bass player yet but I am feeling a wheeeeeeee bit more confident with my super basic BASS 2 BADA$$ skill set. So That’s Cool

Where Do We Go?? My buddy has played with another acoustic guitar player the past couple of weekends. My buddy told me about this guy and the guy wants to meet up and “play” soon. The other guy also mentioned that he knows a drummer. I immediately defaulted back into deer in headlights mode. I questioned everything!!

My buddy quickly heard my concerns within my voice and reassured me that its just a jam and a NON Ego based group. “Don’t Over Think It.” , he says. He already told the guy that I am green behind the ears and have only been “playing” the bass for two Summers now. He even reassures me that this is what they are both interested in. And this will stick with me forever but he says,“Good guitar players will play themselves right out of a band.”

So this has been the latest installment from this Adventure. Looking forward to adding more sound and possibly learn someone else’s style. A bit dubious about playing with a drummer but extremely curious about meshing with a drummer. My plan or idea is to play root notes, learn what a real kick drum sounds like, count off the high hat for quarter notes, and keep my base rig turned way down low. Meaning, can I even count through a 12 bar jam???

We shall see. What I am going to share with you is this; we have zero faith in our abilities when we first met with another musician. But within a months time and ONLY meeting on Tuesdays, all of us will make progress. We do this by asking questions, our willingness to learn, and our desire to not SUCK in front of others. Camping out on root notes totally works. I know that adding fills or triads or scales will come but not necessary for meeting up with new musicians. Something else that really helped me was when I would miss a fret or become lost and stopped playing, nobody freaked out. Well, haven’t been flogged yet. But seriously , we will all make mistakes. Its not like we are in a band. Just Play , Have A Blast , And Ask Questions

Stay Strong & Pick Often,
Cheers

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing all this! It gives me a little hope for future endeavours. Really excited all this is working out for you! You actually just boosted my confidence, as I set forth to also become a competent bass player! All the best to you and your future jams!

2 Likes

Not sure where you are going here. If you capo the 5th fret and play a G chord you are actually going to hear a C chord because the capo location has transposed the G.

Oh Oh - Time to get some proper ear plugs, not those foam construction ones. Every musician should have ear plugs anyways. IMHO You never know when you will need them.

1 Like

Hello All,

Having a little trouble comprehending today’s date. Yes, it is the last day of March. Having mentioned that, the two of us have committed to an open mic night on April 30th. Me?? Open Mic Night?? Yahooo000

We happily agreed to give it a go with 3 original tunes at our local dive bar. The Triple Tree Tavern apparently offers an open mic night on the last Sunday of every month. Our goal is to practice three original tunes with one more in our hip pocket just in case. Back Up Plan

We were together yesterday afternoon and my buddy showcased two new songs that he wrote. Again, very simple songs, G , C , G , D , & C style and most of you would call it a I IV something something.

I am sharing this experience to hopefully inspire you. When we “played” the first tune, I was as lost as can be. Even this simple four beat chord progression threw me for a loop. After the song, asking questions, the second time through went much better for us both.

Now here is the break through moment in time. We decided to run through the second song as an instrumental over the first verse and first chorus. Then immediately sang the first verse and so on. During the instrumental section, my ear picked out the FOUR beats. We actually played the song together and sounded a bit musical together. STOKED

When we simply dove into the new tune, I played early or late. My timing wasn’t there because I was doing my best to play to the lyrics rather than the guitar itself. As an instrumental intro, the chord changes stood out like a sore slapping thumb.

When we were loading our my gear together, the best feeling ever happened. He shares with me how he wondered if we should move forward during our first run with his songs because I was that bad. He goes on to complement me with how quickly I picked up the second play through. He even mentioned how impressed he was when I switched from the G on the 3rd fret of the E string to beginning on the G root note on the 6th fret of the D string over the Chorus of the tune. Very Unexpressed He Found It

I was completely floored and who doesn’t want a little affirmation as a beginner. He even says , " You are no beginner anymore." and I quickly replied with, " Definitely not a beginner but not all the good ether." We laughed and made a plan for next Tuesday afternoon and then one day during the weekend as well throughout April. Wish Us Luck

Remember, you can all play!! @JoshFossgreen has given us the tools and I believe in you all. Start with a simple riff, build your confidence, and tackle a simple tune. The feelings that bubble up are infectious. Play On My Bass Buzz Friends

Stay Strong ,
Cheers

7 Likes

This just takes time and practice.
Singing on top of keeping time and remembering chords and progressions is always a challenge at first but at least you are trying and it does get better over time.
Are you using any form of lead sheets when performing or just playing by ear?

Good for you.
Glad to hear you’re still having fun and gaining the confidence to play in public. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

And Wish Me Luck

Tonight is our three song set at the local Copper Club Brewery in Fruita Colorado

So Looking Forward To It ,
Cheers

8 Likes