Another fingering question - Sweet About Me

Song is “Sweet About Me” by Gabriella Cilmi. This should be pretty simple, but I’m struggling to get up to speed. Riff is just quick eighths an octave apart, eg

--------
--99--9-
--------
7---77-7

I’ve tried using 1 finger per string 1-221121 and also the usual style 1-121212, but both are awkward. With 1 finger per string I struggle to get the eighths fast enough, and the other way I can’t switch strings fast enough. Is there a technique that’s commonly used for this? In the mean time I’ll just keep practising both

3 Likes

This is a good one for Smandl.
Use your index for the 7th frets and your ring/pinky together for the 9th frets.

Any of these repetitive two fret patterns seem easier with this technique.

Note, you don’t need to use both index and pinky, can use only pinky but the combo of both works very well to keep that darn pinky in line.

2 Likes

Those are his plucking finger patterns, not fretting, I am assuming.

I would always pluck it the first way, @DaveP. I am not super good at octaves like this either though, kind of my weak spot actually as far as the basics go.

3 Likes

Ah sorry, yes octaves are tricky. Who knew disco was hard ?

2 Likes

Sorry ,yes, I forgot to mention that! I’m asking about plucking

3 Likes

Just watched the video of the song @DaveP ,
Its played on an upright bass.
i played it on the bass and it is just something that you have to train your fingers to do, practice, practice and more practice will get you there.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks Brian,
Yeah, I’ve been experimenting with ways to make mine bass sound a bit more double bass like. Harder than I expected …
Will keep practicing

2 Likes

I play things like this with one finger per string. Index finger for the E string and middle finger for the D string.

2 Likes

There are two ways that I find pretty good:

1. Palm mute and pluck with the thumb
  2. Foam under the strings near the bridge, pluck the strings over the fret board.
2 Likes