Any bass players understand keyboards?

Hello gang! Throwing this message out anywhere I think I might find some answers. Have been playing bass for a while and now starting to dabble with keyboards.

I have a Korg EK50L and it is what they call an arranger keyboard. Korg uses “style” and “set” to refer to how they arrange the different instruments and voices and their keyboards.

I cannot find a suitable explanation for styles and sets in the manual, from staff at sweetwater, or from the technician at Korg that wrote me back.

I’m just wondering, based on the vast amount of knowledge in this forum, if there’s anyone here that can explain what a style and a set is on a keyboard? Thanks!

1 Like

This sounds like something specific to arranger keyboards, basically backing track presets? I don’t know too much about arranger keyboards though.

Most synthesizers do not have this concept, they usually operate in terms of patches and sequences.

1 Like

Maybe you can ask this question here:
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Korg_Arranger_Keyboard_Forum

2 Likes

Thank you Mike I will jump over on this forum and see if anyone knows. Thank you for the link and the heads up.

2 Likes

I read that wrong.
I thought it said “ Does anyone understand keyboard players “ :joy:

3 Likes

Given my life, that one is much easier to answer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Because it’s an arranger keyboard, my guess is the style is basically for selecting rhythm styles, such as using the built-in styles to help you compose. Example: start with a bass sound, then fine-tune the intricate details with further tweaking. And set would be the presets: I want a bass sound, I like this funk bass sound, when I hit key X, play the equivalent note in that funk bass sound. Some factors such as light touch vs. heavy touch (assuming weighted keyboard) might even have an impact in style mode, though not much - if any - in set mode.

As mentioned before, just a guess, it’s been a long time since I was last in the presence of a musical keyboard! :sweat_smile: Hopefully it sets you in the right direction of your search.

1 Like