Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

You are not helping, @Jazzbass19 - now I need to start finding the money for that beautiful bass :sweat_smile:

#friendshelpfriendswithGAS :grin:

6 Likes

See if you can try it next to a Warwick in the same price range. Then buy both :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Haha, I might find myself in pretty hot water back home :grimacing:

5 Likes

So one thing I am seriously considering down the line for my main bass is simply upgrading my TRBX304 to a 504.

I love everything about my 304 - everything. The only mild bummer are its EQ presets, which I don’t dislike at all, I just don’t use much.

The only significant differences between the 504 and the 304 are:

• the 504 ditches the EQ presets and adds a midrange EQ knob (yay)
  • it has better pickups
  • it can be passive has an active/passive switch (the 304 is active only)

but sadly

• it does not come in red :frowning:

The question would be if I felt it was enough of a win over the 304 to warrant the purchase. Hard to say. The 304 is pretty damn good itself.

6 Likes

Yeah, those all sound like big wins. I should A/B test a 304 to a 504 someday! I’ve always wanted a passive/active switch, haven’t actually used a bass with one.

Well, except I think Victor Wooten has one on his main Yin-Yang Fodera… which I’ve gotten to play a few times. :blush: But I was NOT spending time fussing over the passive/active switch…

7 Likes

If you don’t mind doing a little soldering and drilling a hole, adding an active/passive switch is pretty simple.

With this basic solution you wouldn’t have volume/tone control (you’d have to do it at the amp) but if the show must go on and you don’t have a spare battery… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What I was thinking about doing is looking in to the actual electronics in the two guitars to see if they were the same circuit boards but with different feature sets used; if so, then take off the preset switch and add a midrange pot :slight_smile:

But at that point I would probably just buy a 504.

And yes, I was thinking of ways to keep the red one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Paint the new 504. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah I should ask them what sandpaper and primer they recommend :slight_smile:

Gotta admit the transparent brown is growing on me though.

5 Likes

Looks like the 304 and 504 boards use different circuits rather than using different features of the same circuit.

Here’s the 304:

Flip to the next page to see the 504.

4 Likes

Interesting. Kind of hard to say. The first page makes it look like they use the same board with different connectors. The circuits on the second page are definitely different but they kind of overlap.

Ok, not going to do this, but now I’m actually kind of curious :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is like watching an episode of House, MD with @howard and @Korrigan replacing the doctors; both have little qualms performing open brain surgery - one to find out how to fix the “patient”, the other mainly because it’s cool :sunglasses:

7 Likes

hah totally :slight_smile:

So the biggest reason this would be a terrible idea (other than the obvious reasons this would be a terrible idea) is that the place I would need to drill out to put the new pot already has a slot cut out for the preset switch.

Best bet, just buy a 504 later on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is what I love about these Forums, @joergkutter . . . :slight_smile:

Following these discussions is fascinating. Everyone has their own dreams and ideas of what they’d like, and what they want to do . . . and it’s SO great to be able to share with each other like this.

All best and really glad to be here, Joe

5 Likes

@joergkutter: LOL, I’m an INTP. I can’t hear a problem and not try to come up with a solution.

@howard: Well since you are going to paint it red anyway, you could fill those holes with epoxy. Or take the easy way out with a slide potentiometer. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Truly - bass, and everything about it has been such a rabbit hole to fall down. But having a blast, and learning from everyone here! Only downside is I haven’t made much progress in B2B the past 2 weeks because I keep getting super sidetracked. But all good.

Korrigan

“LOL, I’m an INTP. I can’t hear a problem and not try to come up with a solution.”

I wonder what Myers-Briggs types bass players and enthusiasts are, or if a few types predominate? INTJ here. It seems like bass players are a different set than, say, guitar players, but who knows…

5 Likes

@howard: good luck with the project; it seems @Korrigan had a potential solution (albeit less “beautiful” )

@Korrigan: had to google that; wasn’t familiar with these types :smile:

@Jazzbass19: agreed! Let’s celebrate diversity… and sharing!

5 Likes

I am so not going to be drilling any holes in my bass :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Uh oh. The 604 comes in red.

It costs $100 more than the 504 and the difference is primarily cosmetic.

Oh no.

Well that’s going to be a bit more time to save up if I want to go that way.

6 Likes

And I guess we all know how this one is going to play out :grin:

Nice find - nice bass!

5 Likes