Any Tips For Beginners Try To Become Intermediates?

I just was wondering what tips the community had for beginners.

1 Like

Take the Beginner to Badass course.

3 Likes

Iā€™m currently short on cash but I am saving up for it. I mean something in the meantime. Just spent money on the other thing I was saving up for.

2 Likes

Just try to play easy songs from your favorite bands. Use tabs at first and your ear will develop over time. If you practice every day you will get better, seems obvious, but Iā€™m just trying to help you understand that things that seem impossible or hard are possible and doable with time. Also tune your bass every day.

9 Likes

@JoshFossgreen (and also @markjsmith over at talkingbass) each have some free beginner videos as well, would be a good start. Both are excellent instructors. You wonā€™t get up to intermediate level with just youtube though; thatā€™s going to take a lot of structured practice on your part, and really thatā€™s where beginner courses like B2B shine. You get nice structured learning that also doubles as practice while you are doing it, in an entertaining way.

I totally understand the cash thing, but itā€™s worth saving for, especially the split payment plan.

5 Likes

Absolutely prioritize signing up for B2B. There are many free videos on YouTube, but most are little more than appetizers. If you truly want to learn how to play correctly, in a valuable structured way, B2B is the way to do it, fast.

5 Likes

This is the most accurate!

You can practice the exercise all day and still not able to play bass properly. Play songs, then youā€™ll find out how your skills are coming along and what you need to improve. You can read and memorize the recipes, honing your knife skills but until you put everything on a hot stove and see how your dish will come out, you still havenā€™t cooked anything, lol.

6 Likes

@Grunge_Goblin as previously mentioned playing along to songs is fun and develops your playing. Hereā€™s a good starting point of easier stuff to give a go.

Edit: Endless video doesnā€™t work for looping videos anymore. I now use Repeattube to loop video and work on parts that Iā€™m struggling with

4 Likes

Fundamentals need to be learned and practiced first.

Then learning songs is not only easier to do but itā€™s most importantly done with proper technique.

This approach works out much better in the long run.

5 Likes

Agree with Mike, playing songs is important, but without grounding in good fundamentals, itā€™s just going to be reinforcing potentially bad habits. So I would say, seek out some beginner instruction videos to get some of the basics down, then jump in to songs. It will just be much easier that way.

5 Likes

Yep! Absolutely. Look on the bright side now a days we only (mostly) have to deal with 4/4 on the flipside the 4/4 has gotten more complicated than ever, lol.

2 Likes

:joy:

This morning, Iā€™ve gone down the 7/4 rabbit hole, specifically, Times like These by the Foo Fighters. Itā€™s messinā€™ with my head :crazy_face:

1 Like

Josh made a real cool checklist for ā€œAre You and Intermediate Bassistā€ a while back.
Itā€™s a pretty great checklist of things to try and get solid / things to learn / things to practice.
Check it on out.
The nice thing is that just about every thing he mentions to practice has another (free!) video that goes over that specific thing.

7 Likes

I concur that B2B is the best all around beginner course, but if you are cash strapped, there is at least 1 full beginner course on YouTube, published by a college if I recall. Itā€™s dry as dirt, but it does cover a fair amount of the fundamentals, but you have to work on practicing through what is taught yourself.

That being said, Iā€™d save up for B2Bā€¦ well worth the money!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been loving the course so far. Itā€™s very well laid out and I can see that there was a lot of thought put into moving someone carefully through each skill and concept.

Iā€™m curious what kinds of results people have experienced once finished the course.

I always marvel at Joshā€™s little solo moments before the videos and wonder how far I away I am to that lol

5 Likes

Itā€™s all about attitude.
Itā€™s even more important than practice, practice, practice.
Donā€™t just play the bass, š™—š™š the bass!
When you plug in, nothing should exist but you and the music.
Think about method acting.
A method actor doesnā€™t just play a character, he š™—š™šš™˜š™¤š™¢š™šš™Ø the character, sometimes even staying in character off the set.
Attitude!
Once I changed my attitude, everything else fell into place.

I played guitar way back in the seventies. Not too bad on rhythm, just couldnā€™t handle lead. Gave it all up after five years or so.
I started playing bass ten years ago.
Itā€™s a much better fit.
Things that helped me?

1. Finding the right bass/basses.
    Bonding with your bass is very important. I know people who quit in frustration because they werenā€™t playing the right bass.
  2. Finding the right strings.
    GHS black tapewounds are my favorites. They feel good and sound even better. No way would I have progressed to the point I am now with regular roundwounds.
  3. Putting aside an hour each day to practice.
    Donā€™t overdo it, but donā€™t slack off, either.
    Practice with purpose. As mentioned above, when you do practice, shut off the outside world.
    (By the way, I never took any lessons. I just took an approach that fit me.)
1 Like

Pretty sure he said this during the salt march.

btb

5 Likes