Any tips for recording bass for mobiles?

Hey guys

Sorry for the long absence (hey don’t tell me you didn’t notice :wink: ) - I had a couple of hospital stays and loads of tests and stuff. Still I’m getting back into playing by recording little clips for Instagram - way faster and easier than doing whole songs on Youtube!

Anyway the question is this - Does anybody have any tips how to bring out the bass on a recording for mobile (cheesy little speakers / cheap earphones )? I’ve only got access to Audacity at the moment but it’s got a fair range of editing tools…

6 Likes

I was actually wondering where you had gotten to mate.
Sorry to hear about your hospitalisation!

2 Likes

Thanks man - nothing too serious, but just needed loads of tests to tell me that :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Anyway back to bass work ! :grin:

2 Likes

Ya wondering where you went, but, folks come and go a lot so just figured you were doing your thing. Sorry to hear about hospitals - they are never a good thing, but, part of these “golden years”.

To your question, not quite sure what you are asking and wanting to do.
Hear the bassline better?
Separate the bassline?
other?

2 Likes

Yeah getting old sucks :frowning:

I’m really just looking for a way to hear the bass line better in the mix if possible…

2 Likes

If you can split it via Moises then you can crank up the bass and lower the others right in the app.

3 Likes

+1 this is what I do. It’s also interesting to hear how unappealing the isolated tone is in the bass on some recordings. But it works within the mix.

Also try googling isolated bass track for the song. If it’s a well known track you might get lucky.

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E @Barney . It’s just if there’s a lot of bottom end (like on the hofner) that it doesn’t come out very well on the speakers, even if the bass line is really jacked up. Maybe if I boost the mids ? Or buy some new strings I guess…

1 Like

If you’re talking about recording then you can also double track your bass line (copy/paste your recording)?to get more volume and EQ one of the tracks to taste.

2 Likes

This is not at all a trivial challenge, @Ed - and something that takes a lot of experience as sound engineer to tackle in a satisfactory way.

For us not trained as sound engineers, it is a matter of trial and error. EQ’ing will be at the heart of it, but it likely starts already with the settings (on your bass etc) you use during recording. You will find that a tone that is pleasing to you might not be the best to “sit well in the mix” and, alternately, what works well in the mix, often sounds quite “bad” when heard in isolation.

I think you will need to try out different ways to affect tone for yourself and see what works best (according to your ears - listening on the device that you target (mobiles)).

But… I think you should find yourself a toolbox with a bit more surgical capabilities than Audacity!!!

2 Likes

I don’t know what you can do in audacity but Reaper DAW is “free” and there are lots of good native/free plugins for it too.

You could try this: Mixing Bass To Cut Through On Laptop + Phone Speakers - RecordingRevolution.com - YouTube

2 Likes

Wait what? The Rickies were left unattended? I meant Who’s guarding the rickies? Lol.

By the way, how are you? Lol.

2 Likes

Most phone speakers have shit bass. Basically no low end at all even on brand new iPhones. Only way to get the bass to cut through the mix on a phone speaker would be to crank the mids on the EQ and probably boost the high end too but then I’m sure the recording would sound real shit on regular speakers

2 Likes

Another thing I’ve heard are putting effects on the bass line: Synth, octaves, (very) slight distortion. That way, your typical phone speakers produce something, even if it’s still not the bass line.

The bottom line is that you need to move air to hear bass. Which you cannot fake. You can have the illusion in great in-ears, as they would drive the little air in your ear (try saying that ten times) similarly to a bass speaker, and at the same time, you wouldn’t feel it in your skull and body the same way.

3 Likes

following on from Ants comment…As phone speakers cut around 800hz and tablets etc maybe 400hz lots of the bass will just not come out of little speakers…
if you are mixing your own bass then EQing is the first stop for sure (targeting the mids, around 1.25k can be good)
more advanced methods would target upper harmonics…you can make a copy of your bass on a second track, go heavy with a nice harmonic distortion plugin (‘clean’ distortion here, not fuzz or anything), then cut the distorted bass at 1k or higher and just lightly blend back in the distorted track with the original bass (while referencing on crappy speakers if possible)…there are plugins that can try to do this as well see for example Precision Enhancer Hz | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio

you could also play really clacky bass style and the clack will actually give the ear something to latch onto in the mids, but this doesn’t fit all styles

3 Likes

Chorus, Overdrive, or Exciter work well.

2 Likes

Hah! :grin: Safely under lock and key in my Lemmy shrine next to the John Entwhistle life-sized cutout :grinning: :+1:

Doing very well at the moment thanks, although I’ve got to avoid heavy exercise - which isn’t too difficult :wink:. Hope all is good with you !!

1 Like

Hmm - sounds worth trying … Let’s give it a go @Barney :+1:

Oh yes @joergkutter - I thought it was just going to be a simple job for the eq but I rapidly learned this was pretty well above my pay grade. It’s a pain in the neck having to record a track, transfer it to a mobile and then play it but triel and error may be the only way.

Fortunately I have just invested in a new laptop so it could well be time to find some decent audio editing software :grin:

Aha! We have a winner @sshoihet Thanks!

Actually @Al1885 the Rick could well be good at cutting through a mix on mobile. Maybe the T-bird as well…

This is it @Ant , although I’m only recording for a quick insta post… This does make you think about how commercial sound engineers produce the music. Do they do different mixes for mobile, hifi, headphones etc?

That could be worth a go - I heard somewhere that overdrive boosts the high frequencies and Duff McKagen used chorus to boost his sound. I’ll have a try :grinning: :+1:

:grin:

Wow - this guy produces :+1: :+1: Man there is some seriously in-depth information here - I’m definitely going to have to sit down and so some serious experimentation. Thanks @g13dip !

Gotcha @howard - I’ve got 2 out of three, and one of them must work :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe a simpler question though - why not just blow $20 on earbuds with good bass response? Nothing is going to make mobile speakers sound good.

Your phone will also have EQ presets in its sertings. You can emphasize bass reaponse there.

1 Like

Hofners are low and boomy. If you’re looking for mids, try a different bass. Lol.

3 Likes