Anyone doing a DI with Linux

Picked up my tuner today (first lesson!), and…almost picked up an amp. I have a little 6" bass amp, and it really sounds pretty bad, though it sounds really good with headphones The Rumble 40 looked pretty good, but I have a space issue in the room where I will be playing. So I thought about using a DI…

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i|2 that I bought last summer and was messing with it with a purpose built distribution of Linux ( AV Linux). It worked right out of the box without having to load any drivers are anything! I was thinking about bringing the bass and Josh’s lessons in together through the head phones.

Anyone else doing this?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried mine with linux but since DAIs are basically just USB Audio Devices my guess it is should just basically work. It might be a little “raw” (i.e. the vendor drivers might do things like correct levels and sampling rates from the DAI) but in general I bet it will just work reasonably well.

2 Likes

hey nice one, thanks for the tip! always good to hear about devices that work right out of the box on nix, i’ll look into this.

i’ve never tried AV Linux before, but can’t go wrong with debian base!

2 Likes

I’m running a Behringer UM2 (about as low-end a DAI as you can get) connected to a laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 which sees the interface just fine in Audacity.

For a real DAW there is a beta version of Reaper for Linux, although I haven’t personally tried it yet.

2 Likes

Really! Reaper for Linux!! Not in synaptic, but on a Google search, it has been out for a while. I need to check it out, I have a nice Dell AIO that had a fresh install of Mint on it with the Scarlett near by…

3 Likes

Yeah it’s been in beta for a long time. Downloadable packages from Cockos’ site.

http://reaper.fm/download.php#linux_download

3 Likes

Yes, the Reaper Linux installation is old school Linux: Download a tarball, unpack the tarball, satisfy a few dependencies and run a shell script to install it.

There is an active Linux sub-forum in the Reaper forums.

Alternatively, the Windows version of Reaper is said to run well in Wine.

3 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t bothered installing it yet, mostly resigned to Windows for anything involving audio these days. Much like with games, the availablility is hard to ignore.

Unfortunate (for both OSX and Linux, either of which I vastly prefer over windows) but hard to argue against.

1 Like

wooooo! loving the nix love in the forums here! :penguin: :heartbeat: :musical_note:

thanks for the reaper links, i’ll have to check that out over the holidays!

3 Likes

Me too!

1 Like