Anyone want to take a crack at this?

KMFDM is mostly electronic. But some of their songs do have solid guitar/bass riffs. All I want to know is what notes are played on the bass intro. Its about 15 seconds long. Its all slap, which I’m pretty good at. But its so fast, I havent been able to figure it out.

3 Likes

Slow it down and fish around for the notes.

3 Likes

I am not certain that’s a bass; there are some pretty convincing synth patches out there. Could be heavy compression but something about the attack feels synthy.

Thrill Kill Kult has a song I am wondering about the bassline of as well (The Days of Swine and Roses). Could also be a bass but I suspect synth.

1 Like

How about isolating the bass track? Try moises.ai, the free account allows you five songs per month. With it, you could put the song into something like Transcribe! and slow it down without losing pitch and then figure it out.

4 Likes

The real unfortunate thing here, is I totally could have asked Kaptn K. I was working with him and BRUTE on a non music project for about 6 months, and was meeting with him weekly. Never even thought to ask him :frowning:

I guess if that project ever gets restarted, I can try to bring it up in conversation. Not sure how well received it would be if I sent him an email.

2 Likes

I’m just glad they are still making music; I remember when Virus first hit the clubs. Classic.

1 Like

So many of these musical groups use a synthetic base, instead of an actual bass player with a bass guitar. That may be what you’re hearing.

1 Like

I mean I often use a synth for bass and not a bass guitar :rofl:

Bass is useful for more than just the bassline.

I went to play through it and it seemed pretty awkward so I did a quick search and i think it’s a synth too.

1 Like

Nice find. I just set up a free account. Gonna give it a try.

1 Like

I’ve been working on this a bit. Heres what I’ve figured out so far.

Looking past the bass intro that I’m trying to figure out, the main song itself is interesting. It seems like its F, F, E, F, F then F, F, E, G#/Ab, F#/Gb, then F, F, E, F, F, and finally F, F, E, B, A#/Bb, A, F#/Gb. On the Bass its just this on the E String: 1, 1, 0, 2, 2 1, 1, 0, 4, 4, 1, 1, 0, 2, 2, 1, 1, 0, 7, 5, 4.

Whats interesting is the closest scale I can find is the B Blues; which does not have an F#/Gb in it. Can anyone confirm?

If thats all correct, going back to the opening line, I think its F, E, F, x, F(up an octave; but possibly 2). Or 1, 0, 1, x on the E string, with a pop on 3 on the D string.