Appearantly I've Been Living Under a Rock

Recently stumbled across these videos on YouTube… very funny little bits, mixing some music theory with humor.

Enjoy. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For fun, I decided to build on a current fingering exercise I’m working on, as assigned by my in-person teacher.

The exercise is running keys through the circle of 4ths on first 4 frets of the neck, using lowest note as a root, and using open string preference - doing this through major triad, minor triad, augmented triad, diminished triad, major/minor alternating and minor/major alternating). (If anyone is interested, I can write out the above and post it on request.)

Decided to take a similar concept and apply it to Pachelbel’s Canon in D for fun.

If anyone is interested in the Pachelbel progression, here’s the tab.

3 Likes

I’m interested!

1 Like

Cool. I’ll tab it all out and post in the next couple days. Appreciate the interest and I’m happy to share

2 Likes

Alright… Here we go…

1st Position Major Triads (Root - 3rd - 5th) Circle of Fourths (1st 4 frets and open strings only)

1st Position Natural Minor (Root - Flatted 3rd - 5th) Triads Circle of Fourths

1st Position Augmented (Major with sharp 5th) Triads Circle of Fourths
(deleted original - here’s the corrected version per Gio’s comments)

1st Position Diminished (Minor with flatted 5th) Triads Circle of Fourths

I’m pretty sure the last 2 are correct, just adjusted the major/minor scale ones slightly. I’d appreciate if one of our more skilled/knowledgeable fellow bassists could check it over for accuracy (@Gio ?)

Ignore the tempo notation, play as fast or as slow as you wish, focusing on accuracy, muting and all that good stuff. Advised to play along with a metronome.

A nice free music score / tab creator that I used to create these is MuseScore 4 - Windows only.

2 Likes

Very cool! Adding it into the rotation. Thanks, man. :+1:

2 Likes

Anytime. Also forgot to mention since I use a 5 string bass, I generally tab things for myself with that notation. The specific exercise from my teacher was not to use the B string (for now). Future project is to rework it for 5 string. Also, going to do a similar one with only using frets 5-9 eventually. I can post those up too if someone wants, after I write them out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this.

2 Likes

You nailed 3 out of 4!
The augmented triad exercise needs to be corrected.
The intervals are root, major 3rd, sharp 5th.
In about half of the examples you have root, major 3rd, sharp 4th.
Such a strange sounding triad!!

2 Likes

Whooops! I’ll fix, thanks for looking it over.

1 Like

Think I got it this time, if you could look over the corrected version, it would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Nailed it!

2 Likes

Thanks for looking it over Gio, much appreciated. Helped me with proofreading my homework as well… lol!

2 Likes

And I joke I’ve been playing guitar for 40 years and one of these days I need to learn more than the four chords that I know! Maybe I’m really good and just don’t know it! :wink:

2 Likes