Are wider straps more comfortable?

I’m asking because I prefer to do my lessons while standing. It seems that a wider strap would be more comfortable because they distribute the weight of the bass over a larger area but on the other hand, I’m wondering if they would be more likely to press against the side of my neck which would also be uncomfortable.

This is the one I’m considering and this is the one I’ve been using.

Any thoughts folks?

4 Likes

sadly… depends.

Depends on design, how it lies on you, and what its’ made of, what the edges are like, etc.

I have wide ones I don’t like and are not comfortable, and one that is.
I have narrow ones that are crazy comfortable and others that hurt.
Materials, how stiff or ‘worked in’ they are (esp leather, like a baseball glove you first buy or after years of wear), etc.

One of my thinnest straps is the one that came with the Fender Custom shop bass. It is super comfy, but, feels like baby bottom soft leather/suede.

How it attaches and hangs also makes a difference with each bass.

What I know I don’t like are the cloth material ones, as they are normally more cutting on the edges and dig in more (like the one you are using).

4 Likes

Never had a wider strap pressing against my neck. I do prefer a bit more wider strap for bass. If you don’t have much shoulder to rest on then I would stick to the standard size ones.

3 Likes

YES!!!
I use a 4.5 inch Levy’s Leather strap and it makes all the difference in the world.
I play standing also.

3 Likes

My 4.5 inch leather just barely brushes my neck occasionally, depending on my movement, but it doesn’t annoy me.
I prefer the stiff and rigid nature of the leather as opposed to soft cloth, because it does a better job of evenly distributing the weight.

3 Likes

Depends on the strap, the bass, and most of all your own personal preference… but I’ve had good luck with 3 inch wide straps. With a smaller one I would worry about weight distribution and bigger I’d worry about it just being too bulky for me… but you can already see examples from above where people like bigger or smaller ones too. I’d say 3 inches is a good place to start if nothing else.

3 Likes

Thanks guys and gal. :wink: I’m getting the impression from your replies that it boils down to personal preferences and I’m gonna have to try a wider strap myself.

4 Likes

Just like so many things with Bass.

One thing not mentioned was padding.
There are quite a few threads regarding the Kliq aircell and Neotech Mega Straps.

To answer your initial question, IMHO wider straps ARE more comfortable and padded wide straps more so.

I use a 4" Neotech Mega Strap, which seemed to have more positive reviews overall and is padded, on my Bass and Les Paul 6 string. It is comfortable and helps eliminate a slight neck dive issue on my Bass but again, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

4 Likes

I have the same strap as Pam and makes all the difference on my Lakland, things as heavy as 70s/80s Jazz bass. A would not be able to tolerate a smaller strap with that one.

3 Likes

Well, I ordered the one I linked to in my OP. It’s from Amazon and I can easily return it if I find it’s not for me.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions here. :+1:

4 Likes