Are You an Intermediate Bassist? (17-point Checklist)

@PamPurrs, I think you had the right idea to fully focus on reading music right from the start rather than relying on tablature, so good for you! :wink:

As Josh had mentioned, lots of tabs are inaccurate and unless you know how a song is supposed to sound, they are pretty much useless. :neutral_face:

All best, Joe

5 Likes

Easiest solution would be that Josh allows downloads for this post; once he does that, a download button should be visible just below the player window in SoundCloud

Second easiest would be to use a (video) downloader app, such as, e.g., Downie (for Mac), which is a little app that “extracts” video and/or audio from webpages

The Audacity hack didn’t work for me, as the Mac version of Audacity apparently won’t let you choose your speakers as input source.

:smile:

3 Likes

Josh, @JoshFossgreen, we wanna be able to download your track to make playalongs, can you go into your SoundCloud, click on the page for the track itself, then click Edit, scroll to the Permissions tab, then click Enable Direct Downloads, then, hit Save Changes. It’ll make it a whole lot easier to grab your file, and then lay our bassline on top of it! :metal: Rock on!

4 Likes

Another winner, @JoshFossgreen! Thank you!

This is really super helpful as a mirror for those of us who think they are (or should be) “intermediate” players, but haven’t really gauged that in a more systematic way!

I wish I could just tick off all seventeen items, but, alas, that list reminds me (conveniently and painfully) of my remaining shortcomings and also a few “blind spots” I need to work on more!

Love those bass line challenges - will come back with my attempt soon-ish :smile:

3 Likes

that was awesome Josh! I still have a lot more work to do ( still doing the Beginner to Badass course), but the video is a really good resource and point of reference for something to aim for. Your YouTube content has been fantastic and you are putting so much effort in to the videos and I smile when I see that a new video has dropped. Keep them coming!

5 Likes

@leonard Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself thread.

@JoshFossgreen What a very timely video as I’m in the middle of restructuring my goals and practices to help me move forward and get where I want to be. Thank you, for this.

4 Likes

Here is my bass line, @JoshFossgreen - certainly pushing the limits of what I can comfortably play; can’t help myself, I guess :smile:

15 Likes

Sounds very smooth and polished, @joergkutter . . . :+1:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like where you went with that!

2 Likes

Very kind of you, @Jazzbass19!

Yes, the original sound sample most likely lends itself much better to my “style”… it is probably impossible to put a post metal/sludge bass line on this :rofl:

4 Likes

that’s a challenge isn’t it

2 Likes

Gauntlet thrown!! :grin:

3 Likes

Ha! Well, it’s 3am, so I just did a really simple drum-vamp bassline, no effects, just a compressor and a little EQ.

7 Likes

Totally mellow, @howard - and thus perfect for a 3 am bass session with a nice Suntory by your side :smile:

2 Likes

In retrospect, were it not 3am, I would have done something with a Cmaj arpeggio in the last bar to take advantage of the nice setup Josh left us there with G being the fifth of C :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And… you’re still up :rofl:

No one keeps you from posting several versions… even with your Battalion in action :grin:

2 Likes

@joergkutter how did you manage to download the backing track so you could overlay your bassline? I have not found a way to do it.

1 Like

I used a little app for the Mac called “Downie”, but there are several others out there. They are called video downloaders or YouTube downloaders or something along those lines. I think there is a free one, which is cross-platform called “4K Video Downloader”. Open the app, paste the link from Josh’s soundfile and voilà!

Good luck!

PS: I would share it here or somehow, but that would probably cross a line I don’t want to cross. In the end, that is up to Josh!

3 Likes

Nice @joergkutter, @howard!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I just recorded WASAPI loopback out into a track in Reaper and then played the song in the browser. You can do the same in Audacity for Windows. Not sure about on a Mac though.

@JoshFossgreen - looks like SoundCloud doesn’t offer the Download link by default any more. Maybe they buried it somewhere?

2 Likes