Are You an Intermediate Bassist? (17-point Checklist)

that’s a challenge isn’t it

2 Likes

Gauntlet thrown!! :grin:

3 Likes

Ha! Well, it’s 3am, so I just did a really simple drum-vamp bassline, no effects, just a compressor and a little EQ.

7 Likes

Totally mellow, @howard - and thus perfect for a 3 am bass session with a nice Suntory by your side :smile:

2 Likes

In retrospect, were it not 3am, I would have done something with a Cmaj arpeggio in the last bar to take advantage of the nice setup Josh left us there with G being the fifth of C :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And… you’re still up :rofl:

No one keeps you from posting several versions… even with your Battalion in action :grin:

2 Likes

@joergkutter how did you manage to download the backing track so you could overlay your bassline? I have not found a way to do it.

1 Like

I used a little app for the Mac called “Downie”, but there are several others out there. They are called video downloaders or YouTube downloaders or something along those lines. I think there is a free one, which is cross-platform called “4K Video Downloader”. Open the app, paste the link from Josh’s soundfile and voilà!

Good luck!

PS: I would share it here or somehow, but that would probably cross a line I don’t want to cross. In the end, that is up to Josh!

3 Likes

Nice @joergkutter, @howard!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I just recorded WASAPI loopback out into a track in Reaper and then played the song in the browser. You can do the same in Audacity for Windows. Not sure about on a Mac though.

@JoshFossgreen - looks like SoundCloud doesn’t offer the Download link by default any more. Maybe they buried it somewhere?

2 Likes

Thanks, @joergkutter. I’m going try that app tomorrow!

Duuuuude. You’ve come so far in a real short time. This is real cool, and so many of the nuances and subtleties are so much better than way back in the early ‘post a bass line to the jam track days.’
You still have a real great ear for melody, and that makes the line strong and hip.
Bravo.

And a kudos to you too, sir @howard. Simple, groovy, with nice movement.

I love hearing y’alls’ vibes and styles come through the internet from around the world. Very very cool.

5 Likes

@joergkutter Dang! That was smooooth.

1 Like

@howard That’s good stuff.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, @Gio! Muy obrigado :smile:

Hurray for post-production :grin:No, just kidding… thanks, man!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow what a wake up call. I’ve had people pushing me, telling me I’m ready but I always felt like I was missing a lot (incomplete your training is). Which is why I signed up on this site. I am seriously lacking in so many of these categories.

Not quite bass Kindergarten, maybe middle school for me!

3 Likes

I think I’ve been in the category of not giving myself enough credit. This video made me feel petty good about where I stand as I wrap up with the B2B course in the next day or two. It made it nice and clear which lessons I need to work on/go back to in the course.

I deffinitly need to work on finding the root chord in a jam, playing full songs, and creating more interesting basslines in a jam. I’m finding it difficult not to fall back into the same few rhythm patterns, but I’m really just starting out with playing something on the spot as opposed to playing with a specific song and set bassline. On the other hand I feel like my sense of time, muting skills, alternate plucking, 4 figure fretting and scale/theory knowledge are all strengths of mine and are in or near the intermediate level.
It will be fun too come back to this post every few weeks/months to track my progress. Thanks for all the great content Josh!

5 Likes

Haha, sorry, that title is un-repealable.

Thanks for sharing @TK-421! Post a recording with the track if you can! I think I just changed the Soundcloud settings so you can download the file directly, let me know if it worked!

Same thing @PamPurrs @Vik et al , should be able to download easily now? (sorry for the delay, took the weekend off to recover my sanity from bass lesson planning)

And thanks for sharing @joergkutter and @howard!

4 Likes

The download worked. Here’s the revised bassline with drums and guitar.

4 Likes