Are You an Intermediate Bassist? (17-point Checklist)

Ditto that, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

The more I practice, I have found the same things (except I don’t have a 5 string).

Big difference in timbre between the E on the 12th fret of the E string, the E on the 8th fret of the A string, and the E on the 2nd fret of the D string, even though they are all the same frequency (82.4 Hz).

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

THAT BASS SLIDE at the beginning. :star_struck:

Nice @PamPurrs! The tape wounds sound nice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @JoshFossgreen :blush:

2 Likes

My try just kept it simple, with a funky twist

13 Likes

Thanks, @JoshFossgreen. I REALLY like sliding. Although, I’m not so happy with how I played the line so I’m going to redo it over the weekend.

2 Likes

Nice! Really cool to hear all the different ideas people come up with :smile:

4 Likes

Nice job, @Marcel!

3 Likes

Okay, this take is much better and more of what I was going for. :smiley:

6 Likes

@Marcel I really liked it, nice job!

1 Like

Never posted a link before, so I hope this works. I just added a 2-bar click count-in to the track (104 bpm). which might be useful if you want to hit the ‘one’, or even play some pick-up notes before the guitar comes in.

PS. still working on my bass line :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

This is certainly helpful for many, but you can also do that “automatically” in GarageBand, where you can chose between 0, 1 or 2 bars of count-in before the recording starts.

Also, I think the original tempo is probably 110 bpm, but that’s not a big difference… better than no count-in in any case :smile:

Looking forward to your bass line!!

4 Likes

@joergkutter and @sfadams
I also guessed it to be 110, and added a one bar rhythm track at the beginning so I knew exactly where to come in. I use Audacity, which doesn’t seem to have the ease of adding a count-in that GarageBand has. I had to do some math, and determine how many seconds the count-in should be to include exactly 4 beats. I wish Audacity had that feature to automatically add a count-in like GarageBand has.

5 Likes

Here’s my attempt. Sounded cool while I played it, but listening back, kinda cheesy. I’m still hacking through the course (Module 10), so please go easy on me!

11 Likes

I don’t think it’s cheesy at all, @sfadams :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s cheesy, sounds cool to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great @sfadams

2 Likes

Nothing cheesy about that. Excellent job!

2 Likes

I would agree with the others, @sfadams - nothing “cheesy” about it. One criticism could be that it is more of an improvisation over these chords than a regular bass line; mostly on account that you are not repeating many patterns etc. However, that said, I think the border between a regular (repeating) bass line and and improvised bass line is somewhat undefined :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter, @Jazzbass19, @JerryP, @PamPurrs, @howard for all your replies, and compliments! I’m delighted that you all enjoyed it!

And thanks @joergkutter for your constructive comment. I agree it’s not the steadiest or most repetitive bass line. My excuse, I guess, is that I thought the guitar and drums were quite ‘static’ and left quite a bit of space, and so I wanted to add some colour and movement, at least to the extent I could.

9 Likes

glad you like it. it is very simple actually
i first went down the melodic and walking bass line path, but could not resolve these, so went rhythmic and because the Ddim the jazzy route
basically what i play is close to bossa nova 3 variations in no particular order

r-r8-r8-r, r-f3-f3-r, r-5-5-r, r-r8-r8-9-r8
r-r8-r8-x-r, r-f3-f3-x-r, r-5-5-x-r, r-r8-r8-9-r8
r-r8-r8-x, r-f3-f3-x, r-5-5-x, r-r8-r8-9-r8

where x is a ghost note

1 Like