Are Your Hands *too small* to Play Bass? (5 *BIG* Mistakes)

Stay safe, Kristine.

2 Likes

Oh! Here’s something I meant to say earlier but got off track:

There’s a certain type of joy to be felt when you work really hard on an artwork, a piece of music, or, I dunno, a video, share it with someone and then they notice and point out some of the things you worked on so diligently. The reaction posts are a kind of show of appreciation.

4 Likes

If you’ve ever stumbled across the wonderful Canadian bassist Michael Cybulskie (Big Mikey C) then the whole ‘my hands are too small thing’ just doesn’t cut it.

2 Likes

amazing.

4 Likes

Bass really doesnt require you to make any big stretches like guitar or piano so i dont find small hands is really much of a limitation… i can play a 35in 5 string just fine, i just need to have good fretting accuracy and good hand speed. Even when i practice a piece slowly, i move my hands quickly.

Unfortunately fretting with my thumb is out :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Totally. Isn’t funny how on-point kids can be without really knowing it?

6 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 06.33.06

Thanks @JoshFossgreen for helping me remember my excuses are B$! :laughing:

Seriously, thanks for the great video!

Like @John_E said…

On my honor, I will do my best, to keep my fingers straight up and down, not press too hard with my thumb, and micro shift with the best of them!

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 06.40.37

7 Likes

…not to pluck up.

#notrelatedtosmallhands
#generalgoodadvice
#okfine #Ijustlikesayingthat

7 Likes

I pluck up all the time.

Except when I thumb down.

Moral of the story: One good slap deserves another.

4 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Added to the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide.

Since Josh didn’t list a specific module for this I put it under Before Beginner to BadAss since I thought it fit well after 5 Beginner Bass Myths (Busted).

2 Likes