Audio Interface, looking for advice

At least the music business is doing well during the pandemic. :wink:

The ultimate stack! You can use the computer, play the bass and eat at the same time. Did you shared a photo of your practice space before? :smiley:

Thanks T, I already bought one a while ago from a shady company lol. Just a FYI the resolution on your Zoom is 24bit/96khz while the Moukey is 24bit/48khz. I would still use the Zoom for the higher audio recording and playback.

3 Likes

I have not. Considering that after moving in here with stuff everywhere, we managed to get is somewhat live-able the first week.
However, a week after getting here, I went to the hospital for 20 days, (my daughter also had to go into the hospital, and then go to another one to get her leg operated on during the time I was in the hospital also, so, yeah, less cleaning from-her too LOL) and came home and still felt like death until late Jan.
From Jan thru Mid March I was tapering down on Methadone so I could go to Detox and get off it, so I was not feeling good most of the time during that downward spiral.
Then in mid march I went to Phoenix House Detox for 10 days. Got out, still feeling crappy, needing about a weeks of rest on my bed.
The 4th morning after sleeping on my bed at home, I was rudely awaken.

knock knock knock knock. bam bam bam.
Hey Toby, somebody hit your car in the garage, you gotta come down here.
I yelled toward the door while laying in bed “Fuck that I am sleeping, I don’t care, figure it out, get me a police report, whatever”
I go back to sleep
My phone rings, its the front office of the apartment complex we live in.
I shut it off
They call again.
then I get back to peaceful sleep and not 3 min later

Rap Rap Rap Bam Bam Bam, Hey Toby, you gotta get out herre. Bam Bam Bam, I am coming in.
So dude opens my front door.
Hey, I am sorry, I am maintenance here at the complex, but you gotta come down here, some Beaner (I should have known it right there**, tell you in a second) hit your car, its a mess down there, its a big deal.
I get dressed, walk out side, he follows me.
I see up a head a guy going 'hey, I hit your car"

Now I am stil 75% asleep, and I say “So the Fuck What” and then this tall cop comes around the corner, and I am thinking, ok he is doing a police report for the accident.

Nope

He sais
Tobin Wood
“Yeah”
“Your car is fine, I have a Federal warrant for your arrest on an indictment, do you know what that is”
Nope, if I cared I would listen to you babble something about it.
I look behind me towards my house, and there are 3 guys in beteen me and the house, so FUCK
Do you have anything pointy in your pociets, any weapons.
NO
Do you have any drugs in your pockets
NO
Are you sure, cuz we will find it.
Go fer it cheif, look all you want.
Any guns in the house
No
Anybody else in the house
NO my daughter is on vacation with her mom.

Ok, put your hands behind your back click …clickl

Walk of shame all the way thru my apartment complex, out to to the front, down the street, going, where the fuck is this car, don’t you know my knees are jacked, I can’t walk for shit. They say, so what and I get stuffed in a Costa Mesa PD smallest back seat in the world for a blazer.
Where are we going?
LA
WTF? What the hell we going to LA for.
Thats where your jail is.
That doesn’t make any sence, why LA.
Thats the only Federal Prison in the area. you are in federal custody, do you understand.
I do now, whatever, drive this bitch like you stole it, I am clausterphobic as a motherfucker, AND I got my hands cuffed behing my back, with nowhere to even put them, for added comfort I am guessing. So I can’t even lean back. I hate that part more then any of the rest of it.

So, yeah, after 5 nights in a Cell, I, thank god for my cousin, who made appeals for 3 days in a row, to get me out on Bond on Friday night last week. right after dinner, I was feeling burnt, thinking. No way I am out of here today, get ready for a LONG weekend. 48 hours in a cell with a 20 minute window to get out and shower and make a phone call. No way, i can’t do that all weekend.
And just like that, I heard the magic words. “Wood, Get your Shit, You are out of her”
Yay

So, it has been a little busy around here to get my corner set up proper, and not look like the absolute mess it does now.

But I will, once I can get to it, cuz it is actually pretty cool the way it is set up.

That is if my plaintiff doesn’t interfere with me for a little bit.

This is one messed up situation. Normally you can dislike to downright loathe your Plaintiff that is taking you to court. Whatever person place or company that is taking you to trial.
For me, it is kind of difficult to down right hate my plaintiff , it is a HUGE plaintiff

** I should have known right when he said “some beaner hit your car” with that I should have pegged him for a cop. thats the way cops talk to white people, they use ethnic slurs about everybody when they are with white people. it is quite disgusting.

2 Likes

Ugh that is a sad story, just take it easy bro and hopefully they leave you alone.

3 Likes

I’ve had a Focusrite 2i2, A Studio Logic SSL2 and an Audient iD4. The Focusrite developed a fault, so I lost faith in that brand. The SSL2 was very good, but I didn’t like how it had inputs/outputs in the back as I am a frequent unplugger. I’m loving the Audient iD4. Of the three it is the best for my personal use case. It has just enough control (gain, mix blend, master volume, etc.), has front inputs for your bass and some other cool features. Has both the headphone socket sizes on the front as well. However, if you plan on using a mic (for talking) or don’t care about the inputs/outputs being on the back I was very happy with the SSL2. The iD4 support mics of course, but the SSL2 handles them better I think (has a “4K” secret sauce).

5 Likes

What makes it so heavy, like really really really heavy?
I got my property from CMPD today, and there was the warrant in there.
Reading that top part was almost heart stopping.
I don’t know if I have ever had this intense a feeling overcome me when I read this.

Defendant:
Toby Wood. (my full first, middle, last reall)
Plaintiff
The United States of America

Thats the last I will post in this thread, I see it got steered off alittle from Paul and my talk, but JT just put it right, so all good.

2 Likes

Has anybody here used the SSL interface? It’s one of the few I’ve been looking at myself.

4 Likes

@howard posted these two reviews, and had some more text he wrote about them, is this what you mean? the 2nd video?

4 Likes

Absolutely, that’s the one.

I’m always afraid of new interfaces that haven’t been out on the market that have been tried and tested so I have a feeling it may be a face off between RME or Universal Audio for me.

But this new SSL interface is way cheaper and has me curious. I just saved that video to watch after work.

5 Likes

I own it, it’s great so far. Comes with a nice software selection too. Preamp quality is fantastic, it’s well made, has the controls I want, and is equivalent to the MOTU in sound quality (slightly better in some ways, slightly worse in others, in the same range in general).

Plus its volume goes to 11. What more could you ask for?

4 Likes

This:

5 Likes

Thanks for the super quick reply! What software does it come with? I’m glad to hear you love yours! Motu is well respected so that’s great to hear as well because people usually compare them to RME. At least to my eye, it also looks to be built like a tank.

LOL I love that! :grin: I’m considering maybe a lower cost solution as well. Tbh, I’d rather not have to pay what RME & UA ask of me. Sometimes I think maybe I’d get away with less nicely.

3 Likes

In case you missed my reply two above this one. I had it. Loved it. Apart from all the inputs and outputs are on the back. That was frustrating for me personally as I plug/unplug often, so I changed to the Audient iD4, which has worked out well for me.

4 Likes
  • SSL Native Vocal and Drum channelstrips forever, the rest of SSL Native for six months
  • NI Komplete Start
  • NI Hybrid Keys
  • Pro Tools First Plus
  • Ableton Live Lite
  • ~1.5GB of samples

Mark of the Unicorn stuff has always been fantastic. The M2/M4 would really be a solid choice for you. The SSL2 was slightly better in a couple ways that were important to me but wouldn’t be to everyone, and only slightly, with the MOTU being very slightly better in others. They are really more or less comparable, both are outstanding. The biggest purchase factor in the end was availability and had that been reversed I’d be a very happy M2 owner now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the input guys, great help.

I’m going to watch that video I saved & read deeper into this thread later after work. I want an interface to be my next upgrade but I want to diligently make my choice.

4 Likes

Just to give you some comfort. I rarely hear anyone say that they haven’t liked an audio interface they have. Most of them seem to do the fundamentals fine. It’s just the little things around the edges that people will have personal preference with. I’m talking about standalone audio interfaces, not ones built into other devices as an add-on.

5 Likes

Im also on a lookout for my first interface.
Behringer UMC22 looks like cheap and okay choice, so I was thinking to go that way.

Anyone has experience with it?

Btw mI mostly used to FL Studio from my past, so thats probably DAW Id use.

5 Likes

I own one. It’s fine for me; all I need is a cheap solution to record myself, and it does that without any problems. The only issue is that the device specific driver isn’t available from the Behringer website. They only list the ASIO4All driver for this device, which apparently doesn’t offer very low latency. The device specific driver is still available from other sites, so it’s not a big problem if you need it.

7 Likes

I have an old M- Audio M-TRACK 2X2M interface. Still does the job. As long as the software is update able. On interface. I had an old MAudio were driver was no longer supported. Plug and play is way to go.

4 Likes

I have a UMC22 as well, like Mike I just wanted a cheap DAI to record myself. I am happy with it and it works fine.
I don’t know about drivers or anything like that, i did not add or download anything it just worked. It was so easy to use, I just plugged it into my Mac, opened GarageBand, it asked if it wanted me to use the interface it had detected and I clicked yes. That was it.
It lists one input with a ‘Midas’ preamp and the other input does not, I have tried both and can’t seem to hear a difference. It has the 2 inputs plus can take a XLR cable, I got an XLR cable thinking I might run through my amp into it, but have honestly never bothered, and just run the bass straight into it.
I would recommend it if someone was after a simple no frills unit at a good price, it works well for my use.

Cheers Brendan

6 Likes

Since Behringer was mentioned, I’ll just throw out there that I have the UM2 and I’m happy enough with it. Works with ASIO4All (and I don’t personally notice latency).

It’s my first DAI and I didn’t (and still don’t) know how deep into the recording hole I’m going to go - I just wanted something to post an occasional cover. So, “I don’t know what I don’t know”, but it does what I want it to - lets me record on my laptop.

7 Likes