Audio Interface, looking for advice

Huge fan of Behringer gear for trying stuff out at minimum. The UMC22 looks fine as a first interface and you may never outgrow it, depending on usage. You can always upgrade later if you want.

Yay FruityLoops :slight_smile:

Really glad it’s still around, I should see how it’s evolved. I know a lot of people still love it.

5 Likes

@Brendan I think my Windows 10 computer was also able to use the UMC22 without the need for any drivers, but I installed them anyway, just to be sure. @skydvr I checked out the UM2 as well, but decided on the UMC22 because it has a metal case. Apart from that, both units are identical.

5 Likes

Yeah, i’m not really sure what the drivers do or what they are? Do they make it sound better or? When it worked I didn’t look into it any further.
I also looked at the UM2 but at the time I bought it was only like an extra $5 to get the UMC22 so I thought that was a no brainer.

2 Likes

It gets a bit technical, but basically the built-in Windows drivers don’t offer the greatest latency. The ASIO4All drivers are better, and the native Behringer drivers should be even better still. None of this matters if the default OS (Mac) drivers work the way you want them to.

5 Likes

Does it work well for practice through headphones too?

3 Likes

Yeah back in the day I did all of production through it. Last time I went to it I was total noob since they changed UI so much.

3 Likes

Yes, it does, although I mostly use my Zoom B1 Four for that.

5 Likes

Yeah, I still have no plans to get into pedals part yet.

3 Likes

I like the Mackie, because, well, the logo reminds me of D.R.I.

3A196008-F7F8-4B18-ABA8-5C1C33B96BFD

4 Likes

Yeah, Mackie has a winner logo for sure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like Mackie too :grin:

5 Likes

Speaking of D.R.I. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Team.

I’m thinking of buying an inexpensive and easy to use DAI to do a little recording, as well as for youtubing.

I’ve read some good things about this one Behringer 302USB

Any opinions/concerns?

1 Like

I use Focusrite and used to use M-Audio. Both are good, however Focusrite has more colored preamps than M-Audio Crystals. Other than that, everything works great.

And regarding Behringer? If you can get over the fact that the company is owned by an absolute asshole then you can bet that Behringer delivers great price/performance products. Their gear is cheap but works great. In the picture is Pro1 synth by Behringer. Their Synth division made their name in the last 5 years and it seems that their quality overall in all divisions is quite ridiculous in the ontext of their prices.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the 302USB, but I have a Behringer UMC204HD and like it a lot.

Behringer does a great job of blatantly copying more expensive gear. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you @spidey9 and @wellbi .

I think I will order it. I suppose I have no problems with products from companies run by assholes, seeing as I use Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Google.

6 Likes

I’m using a Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen. Don’t have experience with anything else but this one works great for me and it’s $119.

scarlet_solo

Can you provide an idiot’s guide/explanation of how exactly that thing works? I assume the center cable is an input from your bass, but what is the 3-pronged thingy on the left? The cable that is available on amazon seems to have a male/female 3 prong config. So how exactly does that plug into your PC?

2 Likes

The 3-pronged thingy is called an XLR type connector. You could plug in a microphone there and sing along if you like.

When you plug your bass directly into the center connector, also make sure to press the INST button below the GAIN knob. This lets it know you have an INSTrument plugged directly into the device.

It connects to your computer using a USB-C cable (connector is on the back side of this device). You probably need a USB-A to USB-C cable like this depending on what connections are on your PC . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Certified-Samsung-MacBook/dp/B07213D35X

2 Likes

The funny looking input on the left is for an XLR cable, commonly used by microphones.

Some amps also have an XLR out, so you can connect your amp to the scarlet via XLR as well.

The input in the middle is for your regular 1/4 instrument cable.

The scarlet is connected to your PC via a USB cable (included with the device).

3 Likes

Some amps also have an XLR out, so you can connect your amp to the scarlet via XLR as well.

So you can either output directly from the bass or play your bass through your amp and then then the amp signal into it?

3 Likes