B2B...and nothing else!

Wow the bokeh is pretty awesome

1 Like

Just curious - is the Bass Guitar the first musical instrument you’ve ever played? If so - pretty amazing! If not - what was your musical experience previous to taking up bass?

Thanks!

1 Like

@SteveAG evening buddy, I’ve never picked up any type of instrument before, like most of us though a huge devourer of music over a lifetime.

3 Likes

Not much, @SteveAG, I had an old, nylon stringed acoustic guitar at university that I learnt chords on, but that was over 30 years ago. Using those chords, I thought I could write songs, but to say I was cr@p is an understatement!

I really enjoy the bass and play most days, much to my wife’s annoyance!

3 Likes

Impressive progress, IMHO. I’ve been taking in-person weekly lessons for just over a year - but am not as far along as you are. I practice about 45m-1h15m 5-6 days a week.

I guess the important thing is that we’re each improving every week. My challenge is timekeeping/rthym - although I’m working on it.

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder whether a lot of folks who take the online B2B type courses have never played another instrument prior?

Other than ‘beating around’ on an acoustic guitar I have no prior musical experience either.

2 Likes

@SteveAG my apologies for rely I thought your question was to me.

1 Like

Thank you @SteveAG. I agree that it’s about trying to make incremental improvement. Today’s was playing different versions of songs I know, but in different keys and at different bpms.

I am thinking about signing up for the Dan Hawking Funk Bass course - Funk Bass Course - Online Bass Courses - I could do with some structure again, rather than just hearing yet another song I want a go at (I heard two today while in a cafe with my family…).

The journey we’re all on really cool…!

Why did you pick in person lessons over something like B2B?

1 Like

No need for apologies. It was basically an open-ended question to anyone (in addition to the OP).

The more - the merrier :blush:

1 Like

I know where you’re at - hearing songs on the radio and adding them to your “I’d like to play that” list. Just added E.C.’s version of I Shot the Sheriff” today.

I retired recently and there was a roughly 30 year old Yamaha bass that our son left here with a broken string. I got new strings for it and bought a decent practice amp. I used to bang around on it when I walked in our son’s old bedroom every now and then - but really had no idea what I was doing. I wanted to be more structured and learn the instrument better than banging around would yield. My wife was in a music store - buying a used cello. The salesman professed that he knew little about cellos - as he plays upright and electric bass. He was in the USAF band for 26 years. I asked whether he gave electric bass lessons - which he does. So I set up a meeting with him to see whether it would be a good arrangement for both of us. So, I’ve been taking a weekly lesson for just over a year. As I started looking at online bass resources I discovered the main online courses that can be purchased. At the time I made this discovery I was already well invested in in-person lessons. I wouldn’t mind trying the online courses - but, between my wife and I, we’re already spending around $350 a month on in-person lessons (she takes violin and cello lessons). So, if I give the online courses a shot I will want to stop the in-person lessons for a while - both from a budgeting standpoint as well as not trying to serve two bass masters at once (so to speak).

I watch Dan Hawkins free weekly (short) lesson and like him and his teaching style a lot. Originally I didn’t like Mark (from TalkingBass) as much - due to his very energetic personality. Recently he’s been growing on me - as he seems (to me) to know his stuff and also be good at presenting it.

1 Like

Follow this little lesson @SteveAG and you’ll be knocking it out of the park on this song before you know it.

2 Likes

In my experience, Mark is a phenomenal teacher. The amount, depth and worth of the information he imparts is unrivaled by any online bass resource, and, I’d bet, any in-person teacher as well.

Granted, his presentation is more intense than most other online instructors, but I believe it springs from his enthusiasm for bass and a sincere desire to share help students learn.

I have many of his college music school-level courses and they are excellent.

I sure wasn’t disrespecting Mark at all. Just saying that, I wasn’t initially enthusiastic about his delivery. After seeing more of his content I’ve come to greatly value his work. He’s grown on me. Part of my personality is that I tend to feel a connection with a more laid back delivery. No criticism- just pointing out that enthusiastic deliveries don’t usually speak to me in the way that more laid back ones do.

1 Like

4 Likes

No worries. I didn’t mean to suggest any disrespect on your part.

Mark’s presentation initially didn’t work for me, either. That said, I came to appreciate his style for the sincerity it is.

I didn’t read your post as that I disrespect Mark. I kinda just thought that my initial post wasn’t as clear as it could have been about saying what I was thinking - so I tried to clarify it a bit.

My experience with TalkingBass reinforces the idea that first impressions aren’t always spot-on and it’s worthwhile to get some more experience with things and our thoughts might change.

I look forward to the weekly TalkingBass lessons now.