B2B Annonymous

Hi. My name is Hannah Walker. I finished B2B 16 Days Ago. I was peer pressured into buying my SX at a pawn store in late October of 2019. I only had to touch the bass once and I was hooked. Soon I was even dreaming about it. I realized I had a feeling I never believed in.: I was in love. All @Joe : My bass has a name. His name is Joe. He told me his name during the Joe Shaming Incident of 2019. I started B2B on some random date in November, posting on @eric.kiser’s November Journey. Billie Jean still makes me shudder, though I have been making great progress on the “Sultans of Swing. “ Today I feel like I really understand how to hammer-on notes with funk and groove. I’m still scared of slap bass. Grooves I am working on Floyd “Money” “Brick in the Wall” “Comfortably Numb” ( which is my favorite,) Creedence “Ever Seen the Rain” (fun note slides there) and today I discovered “Tush” ZZ Top which is nothing but pure, beautiful chugging and ends with an epic slide. Module 5 or recovering “Billie Jean” could jump into this one! Thank you @JoshFossgreen. I would like to adopt you. I wish more people would post journeys for vicarious learning and nostalgia. Thank you, next?

16 Likes

Well, the crickets are chirping. My name is still Hannah Walker and I am getting the hang of “Sultan’s of Swing” and have been working on another Pink Floyd, “Hey, You”, Red Hot Chili Peppers “Californication” (which is as satisfying as “Comfortably Numb”) Los Lobos “La Bamba” which isn’t as hard to play as it sounds, “Crazy Little Thing Called love” (still not as bad as Billie Jean) Queen versión and “American Woman,” as well as the previous mentioned song list. I have been playing my fingers into oblivion. A month since I finished B2B and I’ve become a bass fiend!

7 Likes

Dang! It does sound like you’ve become a bass fiend! Keep that momentum.

6 Likes

And yet…

Have I missed all your cover versions posted to the forum? :thinking:

6 Likes

I spent my entire youth (from4-18) having to do recitals on stage in a spotlight. (Tap dancing, baton twirling, chorus, bands, plays) so I don’t suffer from stage fright. I’ve never filmed myself before, however. If I need to give you covers, I’ll deliver. I was unaware that as a “thing” here!

3 Likes

Whenever I am with Joe (my bass) I feel like I am in love. It actually reminds me of being horse crazy as a young girl. Same intense endorphin-packed love.

4 Likes

My name is etc. and I just learned about the cover portion of the forum. I haven’t yet explored that category. I have been challenged to post a cover. At first I was afraid; I was petrified! Kept thinking how I’ve never filmed myself with my device. So now there is something new to challenge me! Thanks, guys! I know by my pedometer that I take 2000 steps or more an hour while I play. I’m curious to see what I am doing! You might get more than you want.

6 Likes

Sorry to not be here, but guess what I was doing!? I was playing bass! I need to read @terb ‘s directions to reduce the bass guitar on the track. I hope it doesn’t do away with drums! Anyway, my husband said, just yesterday, that he was astonished how few notes I miss on Sultans of Swing and Comfortably Numb. So I may end up filming an “almost every note” version of those, not exactly a clean terb cover! Hub and I have started jamming together regularly as well, which is plain old fun. I’m still playing these songs with varying degrees of success: Money, a Have You Ever Seen The Rain, The Wall, Hey You, Tush, and am beginning La Bamba. Please tell me your go to songs. I play an average of two hours or more per day, every day of the week, divided into morning noon and night. Seriously! And congratulations @JoshFossgreen on your subs!

6 Likes

yeah we have a full thread about this, I think there’s really everything you need to know here ! "remove" the bass line from a track

would be very cool !

oh, you may want to know that I’m absolutly not obsessed by the idea to play a note-perfect bass cover. in fact I almost always change some minor things on each cover I do :grin: I often like to adapt the bass line to my own playing style and feel. not always, but often.

so there’s no problem at all doing a simplified or note-imperfect cover ! it’s totally allowed and in any case it’s way better than not recording a cover at all :grin: and also a simplified cleanly and neatly played bass line will always work much better than a dirty attempt to play a note-perfect line. well, yeah, no problem at all.

4 Likes

Thanks, @terb, I feel very encouraged, excited and inspired! I just read the thread. I am computer challenged. I do have Transcribe…

4 Likes

I don’t know Transcribe but I assume it has an EQ and probably some documentation/tutorial on how to use it (it’s usually pretty simple), so I guess you should not be challenged for a long time :grin:

4 Likes

Well, I want it badly enough!:laughing: That helps!

3 Likes

I see you are a Floyd fan. Me too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Note perfect only matters for professional recording really. Note imperfect is fine for this forum as it’s a learning community. Even for gigs, as long as the money notes are hit, it doesn’t matter. By money notes, I mean the catchy riffs in the song that everyone listens for, like the main riff in Money. In fact, some people go to see live music just for note imperfection, or what you could call improvisation. I’m pretty sure Hendrix probably never played the exact same notes from venue to venue. The guy was a musical genuis and could weave so much into the money notes it was amazing. Worth mentioning though that note imperfection on lead guitar is more forgiving than on bass (as bass is a foundation instrument), but it’s really not something to worry about in this context.

4 Likes

Some of us :blush: post covers that aren’t even complete, never mind note-perfect. We’re all here to learn and we all supports each other. You’re way ahead of me now so get posting those covers. Please. If you feel like it.

4 Likes

It’s a whole new way of looking at the problem! I was interested to learn there was a huge falling out over how to do Comfortably Numb, but there was an unenthusiastic agreement to do one of each version, so it is actually two parts. Part one Is more restrained with the bass and drums. The hook for the bass and drums changes in part 2. There is more bass and interaction and action in part two, and the bass “hook line” changes tempo so slightly all I can say is tempo one goes “drip-drip”and tempo two goes “drip-drop.” Thank you @JT for helping me see it all in a fresh light. It’s not a high school band concert!

3 Likes

Awesome! So encouraging! I play standing up, which is not exactly true because I move around a lot! I have no idea what it actually looks like. I dance, sway, tap, mug, kick! I was debating whether to do a full view version at some point. Heck, I need to know what I look like! :joy:Thanks @PeteP for your encouragement!

4 Likes

I got a surprise when I saw how much I moved without knowing it. Some people are statues of cool, some are uncontrolled balls of energy. I think it’s great that you’re not self conscious of that stuff because it means you’re only thinking about the music.

2 Likes