Bad teapot plucking "technique" to cope with/prevent CTS?

I’ve started to use the floating thumb technique today. It is working fairly well. One issue I still have is, that I don’t know where and how to place the thumb when playing the E string.

On a side note: I’m a bit disturbed by the fact that all BassBuzz lesson videos by Josh are showing the picking technique with the elbow behind the guitar body and the bent wrist of 90° (or more). This sets a bad example and safe technique is not addressed in the beginners lessons. I’m not saying that one will develop any issues with that bent wrist technique, but there is a realistic chance and so it should be at least pointed out that there are alternative techniques and why one would use them. But in many videos I just see this technique as the default that is taught to everyone.

While searching for some more examples of the floating thumb technique, I stumbled across Adam Neely’s old video about save technique that goes into detail of how to play with a straight wrist.

1 Like

When playing the E string (or B if on a 5 string) you can temporarily rest the thumb on the pickup. That’s what I do anyway.

Pickup, body of bass, pickup cover, aftermarket thumb rest. Wherever is comfortable for your thumb to chill. Some assembly may be required to be comfortable though.

1 Like

I discovered bass ramps the other day. I think this can help with the floating thumb technique. I will try to get one for my current bass.

2 Likes