Bagpipe Lessons

I know that I’ve been on the forum for a bit, but as this is a more formal topic with it should come a more formal introduction.

My name is Magnus, and I’ve been playing Great Highland Bagpipes for a 3 and a half years. That may not seem like much but I’ve worked hard and am a certified Grade 2 piper (grades go 5,4,3,2,1,open from least experience to most). I have not taught any instrument yet but would like to experiment with it and so I am offering a few free introductory bagpipe lesssons to anyone interested. Thanks!

Edit: these would be online

10 Likes

:wink:

4 Likes

Before starting bass, I was going to start to learn bagpipes, but never got farther than buying a chanter. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I bought the chanter, and a set of practice pipes. Actually went through a couple of “how to play” books. I love me some bagpipes.

Unfortunately, the rest of my family does not. :smiley:

3 Likes

Good for you @Glitch :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

You should enjoy it I know I do/did when I did the same thing to get some jam session groups together in my area for Acoustic guitar and Ukulele. Now if Covid would just bugger off we could get back together.

They just announced the sixth Covid wave where I live, and second booster shot recommendation. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

A chanter is all you need to start, I played on the chanter for 6 months before getting pipes! And I practiced a lot! I wouldn’t teach pipes immediately to a beginner.

3 Likes

Time to get a new family lol

3 Likes

Growing up there were pipers every holiday. Will think about the commitment

3 Likes

Where did you grow up? (Not too personal I hope)

Well done on the grade progression Magnus, that’s impressive. :+1:

My 9 year old daughter has expressed an interest in learning and I’ve gone so far as to pick up a decent practice chanter and a copy of “the green book” but haven’t given them to her yet as COVID would have made lessons impractical.

There’s a few accomplished pipers among my in-laws so maybe the interest is in the genes. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oops, forgot to include- these would be online lessons!

1 Like

well damn. i would love to do this, but no time. bagpipes gets the blood going :+1: :shamrock:

2 Likes

Yep they sure do! You only need 15-30 minutes a day!

1 Like

Right? My GF doesn’t understand, but I am emotionally moved by well-played bagpipes. For my birthday she took me to see a pipes-and-drum band at our local Irish pub; I was in heaven.

3 Likes

I grew up in New England near Boston in an Irish Catholic neighborhood. Grew up with folk songs, IRA propaganda, Ancient order of Hibernians, and Guinness. I remember when I was 16 picking up girks for dates, being treated like a man and doing a shot of Jamesons with the dad before leaving. Which is absolutely stupid looking back,

3 Likes

You should try it, it’s really fun. And there are completions

1 Like

Oh, I have! Like I said, I had a chanter and a set of practice pipes, and was very much into trying to learn them for a long time.

Now, though, it’s best that I focus on one instrument alone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

as they say learning to play sounds like throwing a bag of cats at a wall

1 Like

Latvian pipers and Mongolian throat singing. I want that bass though

2 Likes

That is after the instrument has been mastered, it sounds even worse when learning