Basic Beginner Bassist Recommendations

You can get Kmise locks that are a copy of schaller s locks for about $15 and cheaper if you buy a set of 4.

1 Like

I’ve got a set of them on my 5 string and they’re very good @sshoihet

1 Like

You’re overpaying I think. Dunlop Strap Locks $21 on Canadian Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/Dunlop-Design-Straplok-System-Silver/dp/B0002CZVXM

https://www.amazon.ca/Fender-0990690000-Straplock-W-Button/dp/B002AQNGIU/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B002AQNGIU&psc=1

1 Like

I use Dunlops. And Fenders. Dunlops are really easy to operate. Fenders are much better in visual design, but handling isn’t nearly as smooth as Dunlops.

1 Like

Those “Fenders” are basically Schallers - Fender stole their design, it seems :slight_smile:

Schaller has made them since the '60s.

5 Likes

Agreed, @howard . . . same design, but slight difference in materials. The Schallers have a metal “tooth” inside whereas Fender uses plastic.

I touched upon this point a couple of times in my topic on Squier V.M. '70s Jazz Bass vs American Ultra Jazz Bass

See this post and others before it:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I can +1 every word @howard said about the Schaller strap locks. A must have and IMHO better than any other lock system. Had them on my Strat in 1974 and ever since .

3 Likes

I was referring to Schaller strap locks not Dunlop, Fender or Kmise. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was also referring to current prices for Schaller strap locks and not not what I paid for mine.

Back in the mid 70’s I purchased 15 sets of Schaller strap locks at a Music store bankruptcy sale for a lot price of $100. A lot of money in those days. I still have 3 sets left and have had no issues with the ones on my acoustic and electric guitars after all these years.

When I took up ukulele 6 years ago I used these for aesthetic reasons more than anything else.

They work very well on a low weight ukulele but I am not so sure about using them on a 10 pound Bass. Also, the constant bending when taking the strap on and off may be an issue over time but so far so good. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sure but for a beginner you don’t have to pay $37. Fender’s copy of the Schaller is almost half that price.

1 Like

But is it the same quality. As @Jazzbass19 said

I have seen three strap failures on guitars. On two of them the headstocks broke right off. On the third there did not seem to be any damage.

The bottom line is you should use a strap lock, of some kind, to protect your investment :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Actually, this is the bottom line…

bottom_________________

sorry, couldn’t resist a little humor.

I guess that makes you the Good Humor man.
I’ll take a double scoop vanilla please :rofl:

Ok or buy the original tried and tested Dunlop Strap lock for $21. Still less than $37.

But hey if you cash rich crazy kids want to blow your mula on a Schaller go for it!

1 Like

I love the system, it’s really smooth “plug and play” concept. Little bit like “F1 pit stop tyre change” design vibe :smiley:

1 Like

I just don’t like the pointy-ness of the Schaller’s. That’s why I didn’t go with them.
And after buying 10 sets of them, that extra mula goes to other non-pointy fun bass thingys.

1 Like

Yeah I use the Dunlop’s and they work fine. All my stuff has them. Even my amps have them #safetyfirst

1 Like

I use the Fender Infinity locks. They work just fine, and are around $15
41CDmiA1SBL.AC_SY780

I recently started using these, and they work just fine on my 10 pound (or thereabouts) basses. I love products that do exactly what they are supposed to do, especially when they are dirt cheap.

I also like that they require no modifications to the bass, and you can even run your cord through the loop at the bottom.

Each of my basses has its own strap, and I rarely remove them, so “constant bending” is not a concern for me.

2 Likes

I started out with those. They worked fine on my bass but with my strap put a lot of pressure on the strap peg, as I had a thick strap.

FWIW I have had zero problems unscrewing my Schallers and putting the original strap pegs back on for resale. There is no real modification of the bass, as the Schaller screw does not require drilling, it just goes right in.

3 Likes

Agree. Yamaha makes good entry level saxes which sound good even going further. After you get comfortable with it and you find you want to play it more I would recommend replacing their mouth piece with a better one, tho, since that is the one thing you would use with any sax from basic to top gear and is worth investing a bit into (a Selmer would do imho). GL

2 Likes