Basic Beginner Bassist Recommendations

I have a suggestion for beginners, that know nothing at all about picking a Bass. that you may be able to use to help select a first Bass.

Select 3 or 4 Basses in your price range that you may like.
Now select the one you would like to have for at least the next 2 years - I used this time frame because you should have completed the B2B course by then.
Do not purchase anything.

Come back to the internet and do some research on line and look for reviews on YouTube, etc and then ask for opinions in the BassBuzz forum on your selection.

Just a suggestion and trying to help.

DIssclaimer: If there are people that are upset by this post and think that I am trying to control what they are thinking, or trying to tell them what to spend their hard earned money on, I say, you are WRONG WRONG WRONG and nothing could be further from the truth, so get it through your head, I am only trying to help beginners out. If you donā€™t like this post keep your opinions to yourself and donā€™t bother posting your feelings because I am not interested in hearing them or cluttering up this topic with them.
Or as a good friend here on the forum says:
Everything I say or do will offend someone - TOO BAD
You have been warned. :slightly_smiling_face:

Definitely no need to apologize
As a matter of fact I want to thank you for posting because if you thought that there may be others and it is not what I meant.

You will see this same thing stated all over the forum and itā€™s true.
Itā€™s not easy for a beginner to decide where to start and not get burned.

I only started playing Bass at the beginning of this year but I knew right away what I wanted as far as brands were concerned because I do have a long on-going history with guitar, and other instruments, and so my initial outlay was about 1.5K. About $600 of that was for equipment that already own but had to replace because it was not designed for Bass. Who knew :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thank you for posting and am glad people like yourself are posting about their start up experiences with selecting equipment.

Even though I only started Bass at the beginning of 2021, I could not do it because I knew what I wanted and pricewise alone it was no where near low end.

I was shocked at the low price of that package but thought they could have at least thrown in a tuner with it to really make it complete. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also thought there would be a lot of negative things said about the package in this topic but you are the second person to say that as a starter it should be OK, after a proper setup.

Itā€™s all good :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™d add two items to the recommendations list.

1] A pick/plectrum. Itā€™ll cost about $1 and everyone should at least give it a try
2] A nail fileā€¦ youā€™ll need it!

1 Like

You have far more impulse control than do I. :smiley:

This is not the forum for that advice, :shushing_face: :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Very true. Everybody has their thing. Iā€™m big into the sound of the sound, so Iā€™d find a Rumble 15 thin for my taste. Iā€™d probably use headphones before that. Thatā€™s my thing.

I find Joshā€™s gear videos on basses and amps to still be relevant to drawing this line. The models he references are still in production.

1 Like

This is the exact package I purchased when I started. It was great for my needs. I eventually found that the electronics are a bit limited and so I have now modified it with EMG Geezer PJ pickups and I love it. ATM, itā€™s tuned to DGCF to play Nirvana - sounds great. There are a couple of others who have bought this bass with the purpose of modding it.

3 Likes

Done
Thank you for the suggestion.

I added this to the OP

ADDITIONAL LOW COST ITEMS YOU WILL NEED AT SOME POINT OR SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER

1 - Gig bag
2 - Nail clippers and nail file
3 - Plectrum/Picks

1 Like

This topic is for beginners so get your GAS ASS out of here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You know itā€™s gonna hit them down the road anyways. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

One of the main reasons I decided to add a four-string to the five-string I already had was that the low B was just in the way when I am playing along with the B2B lessons.

1 Like

Me too. My starter Bass Amp is a Rumble 100 but for beginners thatā€™s kind of overkill until they know where their Bass journey will take them.
At least the 15W has an 8" speaker not some feeble 4" of 6" and it includes a headphone jack.

I agree but itā€™s going to cost them quite a bit more than the Squier package, actually the Rumble 40 he recommends for a practice amp is running just below $300.00 here in Canada right now.

1 Like

So far thatā€™s three positives on that Squier Affinity package.
I hope there are some beginners reading this information and that it helps them.

Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

I was hoping someone would post about using a 5 sting to do the B2B course and what their thoughts were.
Thank you.

1 Like

When I decided to return to playing bass after an absence of some 45 years, I wanted a Fender P Bass because thatā€™s what Iā€™d played back in the day.

That lasted until I priced them. :open_mouth:

I didnā€™t want to spend that kind of money when I didnā€™t know if I could still play at all.

There were cheap import basses around when I played before, but they were junk - necks like tree trunks, tuners that broke off in your hand, electronics that hummed and crackled - if they worked at all, etc.

So, when my Squier Affinity Series P bass arrived I was blown away. Everything worked as expected and it just felt right.

I didnā€™t buy the package because I wanted a bigger amp - so I got a Rumble 25. :roll_eyes: In hindsight Iā€™d probably get the package and save a few bucks. Besides, as it turns out I hardly ever use an amp at all.

Short version: IMHO, the Squier Affinity Series Package is a great way to get started playing bass, and it wonā€™t break the bank.

4 Likes

There are folks here that like to stick to one bass, or minimal, and that is super cool.
I wish I was like that but I am a collector of things.
When I played trumpet, I had 14 at my peak.
I currently have 14 saxes, and 14 bassā€¦oh wow, I am not only a collector but apparently an OCD collector of 14 of everythingā€¦I better go buy another bass or sax to break this.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs did this i belive

3 Likes

I jam a lot so anything below 100W is just not going to cut it for me.
If I need more I will just plug into the house PA, when available.

So now there are 4 positives for the Squier Affinity package.
If this keeps up I may have to change my opinion on Fender Basses :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for letting us know @spidey9

2 Likes

I only have one Bass and have no desire for more.
What do you mean by minimal?

If a minimal is a new kind of Bass you need to buy 13 more :rofl:

Thatā€™s more than we had in our whole brass band, although we were using cornets.

I owned a Selma trumpet at one point that I bought new from Sears, back in the 1970s for $79CAN.
I wonder what it would be worth now :slightly_smiling_face:

How on earth did you acquire 14 Basses :joy: :joy: :joy:

I can honestly say I do not suffer from GAS.

One at a timeā€¦

2 Likes