Basic Beginner Bassist Recommendations

I believe I have seen her post about that.
But that does not surprise me.
She has to do things differently because of the rebel in her :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes I did

2 Likes

That’s not really the case, although I can understand why you would think that. :smiley_cat:
The real story is, while I was on the brink of deciding to take up bass, a friend got me out of the house (I was recovering from my radiation and chemo treatments), and dragged me to a club to listen to a local band. The bassist was playing a five string, and she was so awesome that I spent the entire time fixated on her and thinking about how cool it would be if I could do that.
Yes @Celticstar , I am a rebel. But in this case I was inspired to get a fiver and do the B2B course with it by that gal in the band. I don’t regret it, because I am now as comfortable with a five string as I am with a four string.

3 Likes

Sorta how I started sax.
My future wife and I were on our second date at a Trombone Shorty concert.
One of his sax players (Uncle Dan) plays bari, she pointed to that and said “you should play that”. We were both mezmerized by him and his playing.
No one starts on bari, no one. I did. Worked out fine as I am full of hot air anyway, so had plenty for the big horn.

3 Likes

41361613a4337ae793b631553be13ab38391a04e1f58d60f2af82664dfa61630.0
No comment…

3 Likes

I did a bunch of the course with a 5 string. I rested my thumb on the B and it was fine for me.

3 Likes

I actually used the B string in many of the lessons since I was playing by the notes rather than the tab.

2 Likes

You and I are going to have to disagree on this one. When I went for my second bass, I looked at the players I’m a fan of, and a good number played Jazz basses, so I went for a low cost Jazz. In black, because that speaks to me as a person.

When I got my first bass, it was from a going out of business sale. It was a nice bass, and practical, but I never warmed to it.

I played a Sterling in the store today, and the sound is not me. If I started with a Ray 4 I would not have practiced as much.

I agree you should buy a reasonably priced bass, but I also think the bass should speak to you, and the market being what it is, you can buy a reasonably priced, practical bass that you'll be excited to play.
2 Likes

Same.

Or use it as an option to hit a lower 5th from the E string.

2 Likes

Did you use the low B string as a thumb rest at all?

1 Like

Since I play with the floating thumb method, I don’t use a thumb rest at all. I played the B string when appropriate.

2 Likes

Aha floating thumb.
I forgot about the floating thumb method.
I’ll have to give it a try.

Would you say there is an advantage to it?

1 Like

There is for me, but it’s not for everyone. I’ve been doing it so long, I can’t play any other way.

1 Like

I just watched 3 videos on the floating thumb technique and they were all different.
It looks like it would be great for string muting if one can master it.
I’m gonna give it a good try.

Thanks for mentioning it. :+1:

2 Likes

It’s odd. I have no problem picking with no anchor but when plucking, my thumb wants an anchor, either a string or a pickup.

3 Likes

I started out with the Fender App tuner on my smartphone, good enough for a beginner :wink:

1 Like

Actually - at $450 the price seems very high to me?

New Squier Affinity: $230

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassAffIOWT--squier-affinity-series-precision-bass-pj-olympic-white-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

Rumble 15: $99

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum15--fender-rumble-15-1x8-inch-15-watt-bass-combo

The combo pack is $450? Where did the other $120 go?

1 Like

I was wondering about that as well… I did get my started pack for 299€, meaning that the price on the US market should be around $300.

2 Likes

$329

Also has a strap, gig bag, and instrument cable

2 Likes

That makes much more sense.