Bass amp for school talent show

So I’m in a bit of dilemma right now as I have a few amps in mind that I want to use for my school’s talent show. They are, a Marshall B150 15", a Hartake HD150, a Peavey TNT 150, a Peavey MAX 112 Transtubo, a Ashdown 2x10 300w and a Bugera BXD12 1000W 1x12 Bass Combo Amplifier. Btw, all of them are priced around 450 SGD

I’ll be playing in a standard sized school hall which can fit around 300 to 400 people. There is a PA system but I’m pretty sure the school isn’t allowing us to use it as at last year’s talent show, my school didn’t offer us to use the PA system.

To all the bassists in this community, can you please help me out with amp choice of mine and maybe rank them best to worse amp. Thank you

2 Likes

I’d go with the Ashdown from your list. It’s not as full as I want but it’s loud. If you can find a Fender Rumble 100, that would be my choice. Nice deep bass very easy to the ear.

Best is to try them out and see how you like them.

3 Likes

Agree with the Ashdown.

There’s no way that will fill a room that big. A 500 would be perfect though.

3 Likes

You are right in a hall with 300 bodies absorbing the sound waves, 500 would be nice. Although my little Genzler BA-10-2 kick ass at a small venue of almost 200pp, when I double the stack it was really filling the venue, I’ve never have to go with triple stack yet, lol. I’ve never seen a 500 in action yet but I’m sure it’s way cool.

3 Likes

I agree on the Ashdown.
It has plenty of watts, and the two speakers will help a lot.

Don’t do a single 12" speaker combo. No matter how many watts you run, it’s just not enough surface area to make the big sounds you want.
A single 15" would be better, the two 10’s might be best.

2 Likes

Thanks for ur reply had a good time with the ashdown and was pretty surprised by the power. I played Anestasia Pulling Teeth with it and everyone I asked could here my bass shreds.

1 Like

I’d recommend a 1x12 or 2x10 cab for those genres. A 15 is gonna be muddy for them and lack higher range dynamics. IMO anyway.

For an amp you might want to check out Gallien-Kruger for those. Or Ampeg and boost the mids. Fender tonestacks have a mid scoop that may not be what you want for something like thrash metal.

Sooo… If I was potentially able to get an Ampeg RB-210 for like £350ish, might not ever play in front of a crowd, I don’t know lol, but no brainer? Or no point? :joy:

1 Like

That’s a great deal. Almost 50% off the new price.

Ha!
I usually only buy bass things because they are absolutely essential.
Sorry - I have a bank-account related immunity to GAS.
If it makes you happy and works with the budget, pull that trigger!

3 Likes

Ha, Yeah, in the end I decided, great for dealing with the noisy neighbours, but ultimately, completely unnecessary :joy:

3 Likes